How to Apply
For full consideration please provide a resume, with cover letter, describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position requirements. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This position assists in the care and preservation of museum collections. This position is also responsible for the build-out and installation of temporary and permanent collection exhibitions as well as preparing layouts and assisting with design.
Duties and responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Design, install and deinstall temporary and permanent collection exhibitions including 3D rendering of exhibition layout with exhibition project manager, space preparation, hanging, lighting, and labeling;
- Moving, packing, and transporting art in coordination with the Registrars;
- Maintaining art storage areas and assisting with the proper care, handling, and housing of objects in the permanent collection;
- Monitor light levels and environmental conditions to meet conservation and security requirements for museum collection objects in storage, and in the galleries; monitor light levels for loaned work in temporary exhibition galleries;
- Maintain museum tools and workshop, and procure needed supplies and establish safe and effective procedures for operation of the Museum workshop;
- Coordinate the movement of objects in the Museum and provide access to Museum collections;
- Assist with planning and maintaining budget for workshop and collections supplies;
- Work with curators to coordinate permanent gallery rotations;
- Prepare and install permanent collection objects for gallery rotations;
- Conduct rotations and yearly inventories of campus loans;
- Perform inventories periodically in conjunction with the others in the collections and exhibitions department;
- Assist the Registrars with shipping and receiving art;
- Oversee the safe loading and unloading of trucks transporting art;
- Oversee high-value art in transit acting as a courier;
- Supervise outside installation staff for on-site installation of exhibitions;
- Designing and fabricating cases, bases, mounts and other exhibition furniture;
- Archival matting and framing of works on paper;
- Working with the Exhibitions Registrar and the Exhibition Project Manager in developing budgets for temporary exhibitions.
This position will report to the Chief Registrar, Collections & Exhibitions.
A Bachelor's degree in Art, Art History, Museum Studies, or a related field or the equivalent.
2-3 years museum experience in art handling, installations, design and preparation with a proven understanding of proper art handling and maintenance of museum objects is required.
Must be able to demonstrate experience in exhibition design, gallery lighting, matting, framing, mount building, and installation hardware and basic carpentry skills.
Knowledge of Sketchup design program is strongly recommended.
Excellent computer, planning, and organizational skills are required, as well as time and project management. Must be adept at meeting strict deadlines.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships are necessary.
Must be able to move and position items weighing up to 50 pounds, ascend and descend ladders, work on high lifts, operate power tools, and have a valid drivers license to utilize University of Michigan vehicles.
Demonstrated interest in maintaining and increasing professional expertise through professional training (workshops) and contact with others in the field.
The University of Michigan Museum of Art seeks to transform individual and civic life by promoting the discovery, contemplation, and enjoyment of the art of our world.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.