How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Please provide a salary range in your cover letter.
The Michigan Medicine Financial Systems team provides the leadership and oversight for the suite of financial products and applications used to support the financial reporting, planning and decision making of the Michigan Medicine Finance Organization.
The Intermediate Application Programmer is responsible for the technical programming and administration within the Financial Systems’ Development team to deliver solutions that provide exceptional business value to our users. Responsibilities include technical and system administration of concurrent high visibility tools while using agile methods in a fast-paced environment across multiple business divisions. This role requires collaboration with HITS infrastructure and server teams as well as security and network administration within ITS. In performing the role, the Intermediate Application Programmer will be need to possess strong technical knowledge and experience with relational database models, SQL and multiple Oracle technologies including OBIEE, Hyperion Enterprise Performance Management and Cloud hosted applications. In addition, a strong understanding of finance, accounting, and health care business practices and experience along with an agile development approach in the right proportions to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level solutions in order to provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
Role and Responsibilities:
Technical programming and administration of Strategic Initiatives and Development - 40%
- Provide technical programming and application administration to support all strategic initiatives and development for the following “Michigan Medicine Financial Systems” applications:
- Finance BI (BusFiness Intelligence Application used for decision support across Michigan Medicine Finance), including underlying Oracle Database.
- PBCS (Application for Health System Cohort and Financial Budgeting)
- EPBCS (Application for Health System Strategic Modeling)
- Hyperion Essbase (Multiple Applications for Consolidated Actual Financial and Budget reporting)
This includes an in-depth understanding of administration and management of each of the applications.
- Provide technical programming and application administration of strategic initiatives and development for above listed systems. This includes the oversight of documentation, training, compliance and handover to production team for implementation.
- Utilize agile methodologies to define project scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value.
- Participate in administration of business and project plans related to development initiatives.
- Support the Application Owner and Data Stewards in managing customer expectations for project deliverables.
- Ensure infrastructure and application landscape are aligned with business strategy.
- Work proactively to assess risks or changes affecting the systems and determine appropriate action plans to manage changes.
- Work with Developers, System and Network Administrators to support and improve performance and stability.
- Work with Vendor technical support to resolve technical issues and understand system dependencies and software and hardware compatibility.
- Assist with troubleshooting issues with Hyperion & OBIEE infrastructure and optimization of system performance.
- Assist with Essbase and EPM application administration such as security, tuning, backup and recovery.
- Perform all regular and complex administrative activities including maintain shared service security authentication via Native and LDAP
- Establish standards for the technology including identification of appropriate uses for all options within the Oracle EPM technology stack
Process and Quality Improvement - 30%
- Technical programmer and application administration of all controls and data validation processes during development and during production implementation. This includes the creation of documentation and training.
- Implementation and enforcement of Information System standards and methodologies.
- Work with various IT infrastructure teams (HITS and ITS) to ensure appropriate server and database support for 3 tiered systems.
- Infrastructure support including knowledge of servers, software and applications residing on servers, managing services and general system administration. This includes being able to liaise with internal and external technical support teams when needed.
- Partner with other IT application teams for any necessary data exchanges. This includes working with them to proactively assess potential risks / changes affecting our systems. Develop action plan to handle these changes appropriately.
- End user help-desk, training and communication.
- Remain current on changing industry system standards and new product offerings.
Strategic Development - 20%
Coordination with Financial Systems and HITS teams to plan and schedule installations, enhancements, upgrades and testing of new products and improvements to existing systems.
- Identify and evaluate industry trends in Hyperion technologies to serve as a source of information and advice for upper management.
- Develop methods and processes for seamless integration of different products.
- Provide technical specifications for application enhancements.
- Participate in application customizations and extensions.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on Oracle Hyperion products, tools, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Collaborates with team members to recommend new or improved solutions and development processes.
- Ad Hoc - 10%
Items may include but are not limited to:
- Defining system documentation.
- Conducting peer level training.
- Perform cross training
- Support upgrades and special projects within Financial Systems as well as Michigan Medicine Finance
- Support compliance efforts across organization
- Assist with other projects as may be required to contribute to efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
- Continuous process improvement.
- BA/BS degree in computer science or related field
- 0-3 years of experience in an IT related field
- 0-3 years of experience and detailed knowledge of PL/SQL
- Understanding of common IT business analysis, software development and/or project management methodologies and best practices
- Experience working with Oracle databases
- Experience with data modeling
- Ability to communicate directly with users about requirements
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines
- Must work well independently and as part of a team.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent collaboration and coordination skills for an effective relationship with multiple teams, subject matter experts (SMEs), and customers.
- Experience working with Financial and Clinical Healthcare data
- Experience with Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL)
- Experience integrating data from multiple sources
- Knowledge and understanding of technical accounting principles
- Experience with use and maintenance of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) or similar BI tools
- Experience with Oracle Cloud applications
- Experience with Allscripts/EPSI Cost Accounting application
- Experience with EPIC Revenue Cycle data structures
- Experience with Oracle Hyperion Enterprise Performance Management applications
- Experience with Essbase multidimensional DBMS
This job might be right for you if you…
- Strive to work with technology used by top companies across multiple industries
- Enjoy working in a fast paced environment
- Enjoy creative problem solving and making new discoveries
- Have a drive for designing, developing and recommending new approaches, methodologies and tools
- Want to help drive improved analytics at a large health system
- want to work on an embedded technical team who works directly with our key stakeholders
- Have an interest in working with diverse dimensions of health care analytics; including financials, revenue reporting, patient care statistics, etc.
- Pay attention to detail and do not let anything fall through the cracks. As far as you are concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every time.
- Thrive working in both team and individual settings
- Are adaptable to changing conditions and maintain a high level of focus and energy
- Feel comfortable offering support and expressing ideas to leadership
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. With annual revenues of approximately $3 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the Hospitals, Health Centers and Clinics, the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, and the Michigan Health Corporation.
Health System Finance serves as the central finance group for Michigan Medicine and is comprised of six functional areas: Clinical Financial Planning & Analysis, Enterprise Financial Reporting & Forecasting, Academic Financial Planning & Analysis, Medical School Administration Finance, Reimbursement, and Financial Systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.