How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan is one of the world’s most powerful engines for scholarly research, service, and impact. Sustaining and supporting the University’s robust research enterprise is vital for maximizing innovation and economic development. As a service and resource for innovative investigators interested in commercialization of research, the Office of Technology Transfer is a unit of the Office of Research that plays a central role in helping to ensure that society realizes the benefits of the research conducted on campus.
U-M Tech Transfer enhances research discoveries to encourage licensing and broad deployment with existing businesses and newly-formed U-M startups. U-M Tech Transfer has earned a reputation for performance among the top 10 of all universities through providing responsive, professional service to our inventors and industry partners. U-M Tech Transfer is seeking a highly responsible, self-motivated, detail-oriented Financial Specialist to join their team.
- Prepare daily cash deposit; identify and follow-up on discrepancies in royalty reports received or documentation sent with payment; if applicable track deferred revenue.
- Upload attorney patent expenses and run budget checks in Tech Transfer’s relational database, Sophia.
- Pay attorney invoices/cost share invoices using either the non-PO voucher for infrequent or inter-institutional payments or the accounts payable upload process for recurring attorney relationships.
- For new licenses or amendments/changes, note cost recovery terms, as these govern the ability to receive expense reimbursements from licensees (or co-owners).
- Run billing to create revenue records in Sophia and send invoices to licensees (and to co-owners).
- Ensure all billing information is complete and resolve discrepancies on outstanding issues. Create/renew contracts and purchase orders for ongoing legal patent firms. Prepare journal entries for inter-departmental arrangements.
- Follow-up on past due patent invoices.
- Enter software agreements and terms in Sophia.
- Process online software orders/purchases and record credit card payments.
- Record journal entries in M-Pathways when appropriate.
- Prepare distributions, working off the undistributed royalty income report.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience,
2- 5 years of accounting or financial work experience.
- Understanding of financial and accounting transactions.
- Excellent organizational, communication and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, complete tasks in a timely manner and work under pressure of multiple deadlines.
- Understanding of an academic/administrative setting for higher education is strongly preferred.
Knowledge of U-M financial resources systems; knowledge of U-M policies and procedures; experience using U-M Data Warehouse Business Objects
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.