How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
NOTE: This position is funded by a research award and the position is anticipated to last one year with the possibility of renewal, assuming satisfactory performance and conduct, continued funding, and availability of work.
The University of Michigan School of Information (UMSI) is a progressive, interdisciplinary professional school offering a Bachelor of Science in Information, a Master of Science in Information, a Master of Health Informatics, and a PhD. We are a community of scholars, dedicated teachers, students, and professional staff who share a commitment to excellence and a desire to make a difference in people's lives. This position will support this commitment in the areas detailed below.
UMSI is seeking a Research Area Specialist in culture-based STEM education. This position will report to Dr. Ron Eglash, Professor of Information, and will be part of a team conducting research on developing and delivering culturally responsive curricula in urban K-12 classrooms.
- Conduct outreach and collaborations with K-12 teachers, community members, software developers, and other stakeholders
- Develop and conduct mixed-methods research and randomized quasi experimental studies.
- Conduct professional development workshops for K-12 teachers using culturally responsive curriculum.
- Plan and deliver both in school and after school programming that engages underrepresented youth in the STEM disciplines.
- Extensive knowledge of mixed methods and quasi experimental methodologies.
- 1-2 years of experience in a related research role, including familiarity with STEM education concepts, data analysis, and project management
Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required. May require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Will require travel to multiple locations on & off campus. Will frequently travel to Detroit and surrounding areas. May occasionally require domestic travel.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Candidate must regularly move throughout the office environment
- Candidate must remain stationary for prolonged periods of time throughout the workday
- Candidate may occasionally move equipment or supplies weighing up to 20 pounds
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.