How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Customer Service & Office Management
- Serve as primary customer service agent for the department and resolve issues or refer to appropriate staff.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate (annually) student assistants employed in the Central Office.
- Receive, sort and distribute mail.
- Oversee ordering and storage of department and programming supplies.
- Ensure the Central Office is neat and clean and represents a professional atmosphere.
- Assist with guest preparation and arrival (suites, keys, welcome packets, etc.)
- Order and maintain supplies for guest services
Financial & Vendor Management
- Oversee payroll process including evaluation of time cards and approving time for all temporary employees.
- Ensure time reporting mechanisms are functioning.
- Follow all budget guidelines established by the University and ensure proper spending and reconciliation.
- Review financial reports to ensure proper billing.
- Reconcile monthly Statement of Activity Report and correct any discrepancies.
- Review invoices and ensure accuracy of services prior to processing payment.
- Process and reconcile department payments per university guidelines.
- Prepare program specific and year-end financial reports as requested.
- Create and distribute invoices for departments and groups related to conference stays
- Ensure proper tax reporting for all conference and guest services
- Serve as a back-up staff member for conference contracts and tax forms
Administrative & Communication
- Provide administrative support for all HRL staff including scheduling appointments, managing calendars, event planning, and programmatic support.
- Create administrative processes to increase department efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversee creation and maintenance of general office calendars (time-off, duty, programming, etc).
- Facilitate and respond to communication from any University constituent.
- Understand and use applicable computer applications: Banner, SIS, Outlook, Advocate, Share Drives, FMS Microsoft, Adobe, etc.
- Create manuals and process related documents
- Ensure electronic files are updated, accurate and purged according to record retention policies
- Utilize department related technologies (Lobby Guard, Onity, Advocate, Adirondack, etc.)
- Update web page as needed
- Serves as a mandatory reporter (Clery Act) and responsible employee (Title IX) and immediately reports related incidents according to federal mandates and university policies.
- Work some evenings and weekends associated with move-in/move-out.
- Other position related duties as assigned
Human Resources Management
- Provide administrative support to all department hiring processes including posting positions, managing on-line application process, arranging interviews, and closing positions as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with hiring practices as outlined by Human Resources including on-going training provided by HR.
- Ensure proper onboarding of all employees including Human Resource clearance.
- Work with other university departments including Human Resources to ensure hiring/termination of employees is appropriately processed through Financial Aid, Student Accounts and Dining Services.
- Maintain accurate personnel files for all student worker department staff
- High school diploma and a minimum of 4 years of related experience, preferably within higher education
- Excellent budget management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills
- Advanced computer skills, particularly using Microsoft Office software as well as other databases, e-mail and electronic calendaring systems.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member to set priorities and handle multiple assignments and competing deadlines.
- Ability to work on diverse projects simultaneously.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing demands and priorities.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through commitment to apply and incorporate differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- Experience working with Banner, Drupal, Webfocus, Concur, and M-Pathways
- Experience working in a leasing agency or hospitality/conference venue
- Previous supervision experience
- Purchasing experience
- Web site maintenance experience
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.