The Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI) is seeking an experienced, energetic, friendly, and extremely organized individual for its Events and Communications Coordinator position. The basic function of this position is to plan, coordinate, market, and execute a wide variety of events for the office, as well as to support various communications needs of the office. These events range from celebratory, ceremonial, educational, and marketing, which occur on and off-campus. This includes symposia, lectures, recruitment events, receptions, etc. The successful candidate will support all aspects of the planning and delivery of events by working with multiple stakeholders at OHEI and Michigan Medicine.
Essential Function and Duties
Key among the responsibilities will be logistics management for events which includes location/site selection and management, catering, audio/visual or other technical support, transportation and communication. The event coordniator will lead the coordination with other OHEI professionals, as it relates to event set-up and cleanup, as well as follow-up activities as needed. The position reports to the Director for the Office for Health Equity and Inclusion, with general supervision from Administrative Manager.
Event Management – 80%
- Ability to execute and manage logistics for events (including recruitment fairs, alumni weekends, symposia, celebratory and educational), venue and catering selection and coordination, audio/visual support coordination, and on-site event support management
- Coordinate promotional materials for events.
- Coordinate on-site and off-site meeting and training logistics for room set-up and breakdown; including packing training materials and transporting materials and equipment to/from the training site.
- Ability to plan events within the given budget and to track event details and expenses, develop budget proposals, assist in conducting purchasing reconciliations, and preparing reports on activities costs.
- Draft correspondence with critical attention paid to grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Assist in meeting and training logistics by preparing agendas, nametags, table tents and relevant materials; schedule rooms and off-site facilities.
Produce detailed agendas for execution of events and provide on-site management of events
- Collaborate with other OHEI staff members to identify guest speakers for events; coordinate contract creation for these guests and arrange travel and itinerary for guests when necessary
- Create strategic marketing plans for events, which can include creating and sending e-invitations, working with other Michigan Medicine staff members to promote events, managing RSVPs and waitlists, and producing agendas, programs, and other relevant promotional materials
- Generate event feedback from attendees, guest speakers, and other stakeholders to evaluate events and make improvements
- Oversee OHEI Event Calendar, ensuring that events are timed appropriately and with attention paid to other OHEI, Michigan Medicine, and University of Michigan events, as well as holidays and school breaks
Communications Coordination – 20%
- Provide website support to OHEI through updating webpages including staff bios, events, and application processes
- Collaborate with Michigan Medicine Graphics Department and/or other vendors to create various promotional and informational materials for OHEI
- Manage social media strategy for OHEI (i.e Twitter)
- Bachelor's Degree in related area and/or 2-4 years of experience planning and coordinating large and small events.
- Demonstrated self-starter and multi-tasker.
- Ability to execute events under tight timeline and manage multiple stakeholders including other staff and faculty members, internal Michigan Medicine departments, and external vendors
- Creativity and strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills including verbal and writing skills and ability to strategically communicate with vendors and attendees
- Initiative and innovation in solving challenges
- Ability to adapt quickly and calmly to unforeseen circumstances
- Experience working with Microsoft Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Experience with social media management, especially Twitter and Facebook
- Experience working with caterers including menu planning.
- Strong communications skills and ability to coordinate with a variety of university and event-support staff, including IT, transportation services, etc.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Initiative and innovation in solving challenges.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of OHEI’s training and meeting events
- Experience with MailChimp, FormStack, PaperlessPost, SignUp Genius, and Drupal CMS
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and/or Illustrator
- Experience with Concur Travel & Expense System
- Experience with Quote to Order (QTO) System
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine systems, policies, and procedures such as reserving rooms and liaising with HITS
Full time, M-F. Position may require weekend and evening work and some travel based on specific event.logistics
Supervision received from Director and Administrative Manager.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.