Employee would be responsible for the development, maintenance and update of the analytical databases, pipelines and software using preferred language (Java, Python, R, C++ etc.). Work with the Group Leader, Project Supervisor(s) and other research group members to design new systems and applications or modifications to existing systems to meet these needs, and assess alternative solutions. They will participate in all phases of research projects and will help in the decision making on matters of significance within the scope of their responsibilities.
Analyze and explore new data and software sources to assess their appropriateness for project(s) needs. Design analytical files involving the integration of data from many sources. Plan and carry out modifications to the analysis pipelines and related software to accommodate these changes.
Prepare detailed documentation of the ongoing projects. Prepare and carry out detailed testing plans to verify the proper operation of the systems, pipelines and applications and to validate the data in the databases. Participate in all phases of the research process through publication.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, statistics, bioinformatics, medical genetics, biology or a related field.
• 3-5 years systems analysis/programming experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision and guidance.
• Experience using R, Java, Python or C for data management and statistical analysis.
• Proven experience developing and managing relational databases of significant size, including building table relationships and establishing documentation to ensure regular database updates.
• Experience utilizing programming documentation, testing, validation and reporting experience in a production-oriented environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Ability to work effectively within a team of researchers, analysts and programmers.
• Experience building databases from multiple data sources.
• Experience building user friendly applications to access database information.
• Experience analyzing data in clinical trials and clinical trials procedures.
• Statistical training or experience, including survival analysis.
• Experience in health-system information technology.
• Experience in technical and research writing including research/grant proposals.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.