Purpose of Position
The RN Case Manager assesses, develops, implements, coordinates and monitors a comprehensive plan of care for each patient/family in collaboration with the physician, and all members of the interdisciplinary team for out-patient home care referrals.The position is unique in that it combines clinical/quality considerations with regulatory/financial/utilization review demands.The position creates a balance between individual clinical needs with the efficient and cost effective utilization of resources while promoting quality outcomes. This position is focused on out-patient referrals.
The RN Case Manager reports directly to the Nursing Director/Supervisor for Ambulatory Care Services. The RN Case Manager works closely with the unit-based team in reaching unit and organization goals including length of stay, care transitions, readmissions, and other quality initiatives. The RN Case Manager will recommend and document patient classification of all admissions utilizing established criterion set.
NOTE: This job opening # 163812 replaces job # 162583.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Care Coordination and Discharge Planning
- Processing of referrals will begin within 48 hours of referral receipt. Contact will be made with patient/family as needed for anticipated needs
- Initiate discharge plan including early referrals to homecare, DME and infusion services
- Follow standard for routine patient/family conference
- Ensure patient handovers to next level of care; work closely with Care Navigators in clinics, complex care Case Managers, homecare and sub-acute liaisons
- Support nursing Model of Care by working closely with nursing managers and staff to achieve Patient Family Centered Care goals: respect and dignity, information sharing, participation and collaboration
- Participate in venues to reduce barriers to referral
Supervision is received from ACS Director/Supervisor
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted under the Role-Specific Advancement Model (RSAM) as:
RN Case Manager- COMPETENT.
- Required Educational Requirement; applicant must meet one of the following:
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing OR Associates degree or Diploma in Nursing and a Master’s degree in Nursing
- Current State of Michigan Board of Nursing licensure
- Minimum of five (5) years of acute care nursing experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as demonstrated by the ability to work effectively with individuals and or teams, across disciplines
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills as demonstrated in oral and written forms
- Ability to work in a collaborative partnership model with other members of the interdisciplinary team, both internal and external
- Organizational and time management skills, as evidence by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position
- Work experience within the last two (2) years in a home health setting, DME, hospice or infusion provider
- Two (2) years of home care or skilled home health experience
- Experience with Allscripts
- Proficiency in EPIC
- Clinical Care Coordinator experience
- Two (2) years of hospital discharge planning experience
- Excellent analysis and data management and PC skills
- Ability to work in autonomous and self-directed manner
- Experience with quality improvement initiatives
Shift: Monday thru Friday, and may include weekend hours dependant on the department need
Location: UMH ACS Administrative Complex , 2600 Green Rd. Location may change with expansion of the program
MIchigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.