The University of Michigan Shared Services Center (U-M SSC) is a customer service organization focused on providing user-friendly and cost effective administrative services to the university community. The SSC offers key financial and human resource transaction services to customers through consistent processes and enabling technology. The SSC continuously works to be a Center of Service Excellence for the university by creating a workplace that is based on three pillars: customer service excellence, Lean Daily Management Systems and an organizational culture of learning.
Reporting to the Statement of Activity (SOA) Reconciliation Supervisor, the SOA Reconciliation Associate serves an important role analyzing and reconciling select financial and payroll transactions and completing all associated tasks. SOA Reconciliation Associates work collaboratively as part of a team, and interact frequently with customers, business partners and other SSC departments. Successful candidates will be expected to perform all required job duties while providing timely, friendly, and accurate customer service.
- Knowledge of and adherence to University of Michigan policies and procedures
- Reconcile financial and payroll exceptions:
- Review source documentation and department approval information
- Partner with SOA Reconciliation colleagues to validate and resolve complex financial and payroll inquiries or errors as requested.
- Serve as a change agent, seeking to pursue continuous improvement opportunities using LEAN methodology
- Participate in projects and initiatives to help standardize and optimize SOA and related processes
- Create, review and update process and training documentation as needed
- Identify opportunities to inform and build relationships with customers, partners and SSC colleagues
- Provide excellent customer service in all interactions
- Work independently and collaboratively in a team oriented environment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School diploma
- 1-2 years experience in a professional office setting
- Willingness to deliver excellent customer service
- Exhibits courteous, professional and effective written and verbal communication
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively in a team environment while delivering timely and accurate work output
- Proficient with standard office computer skills (i.e Microsoft Office, Google G suite)
- Flexible attitude and time management skills
- Interest in researching discrepancies and providing proper resolutions
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Resourceful and creative approach to resolving problems and challenges
- Ability to analyze data, identify issues, suggest improvements and implement process improvement initiatives
Organizational Core Competencies and Skills:
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds self-accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of more than $7 billion, is a leader in higher education. U-M SSC provides administrative support related to financial and human resources in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense, General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Benefits, HR Data Management, Time and Leave, and Employment Process. To learn more about U-M SSC, please visit our website: www.ssc.umich.edu.
We offer our employees an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, a two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
The Shared Services Center seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.