The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) invites applications for the position of Financial Specialist Associate. We are seeking experienced candidates with demonstrated financial and administrative capabilities. This position will be responsible for handling much of the financial transactions, budgeting, and internal controls for the Financial Services Department as well as support the campus via various financial surveys, reports, transactions and customer support. UM-Dearborn is among the top-tier comprehensive public universities in the Midwest with over 9,000 students, outstanding faculty and staff as well as beautiful facilities and grounds.
Position Key Responsibilities:
The Financial Specialist Associate will report to the Director of Financial Services and will work collaboratively with and serve campus administrators to implement best practices in financial acumen.
The successful candidate should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated innovation in financial presentation
- Superior customer service skills
- The ability to develop and maintain strong relations with administrators
- Strong analytical skills
- A demonstrated working knowledge of accounting and business practices and procedures.
- A demonstrated ability to assemble and analyze information for reports and special projects.
- Ability to analyze data in a database/warehouse environment and create informative reports
- Ability to use spreadsheet software to analyze data and create reports
- Ability to write clear and effective communications for internal and external administrators, faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to calculate percentages, prorate/average numbers, work effort, and similar financial calculations using financial and payroll data.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a collaborative, team environment
- Ability to multi-task and handle a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to self-manage, prioritize.
- Manage the financial transactions for Financial Services and Student Accounts, including-- reconciliation of financial transactions, equipment inventory, approving travel and expense, managing office supply needs
- Provide administrative support for for Financial Services and Student Accounts, including--arranging training sessions, managing customer service, facilitating travel arrangements.
- Budget and forecast the Financial Services Department and advise the Director on financial standing and outlook
- Serve as internal control contact for department and prepare internal control gap analysis documents
- Prepare financial and administrative transactions and support campus via accounts payable, purchasing, accounts receivable, gift card distribution, and telephone charges
- Prepare and coordinate various surveys and reports for campus including--HEIDI State of Michigan, IPEDS (federal), Higher Learning Commission composite financial indicator, and U.S. New College Rankings.
- Provide financial service to Dearborn faculty/staff/students on various financially related topics
- Review various campus agreements and documents for financial ramifications
- Website design and posting for department
- Communicate financial information and training to campus community
- A bachelor's degree in business administration or related field, or combination of education and experience.
- 5-10 years of related work experience in a financial environment
- Experience with financial information systems, especially Peoplesoft/Oracle
- Understanding of financial information systems, especially in a not-for-profit or fund accounting setting
- Must be service-oriented, creative, self-motivated, and highly organized.
- Experience with spreadsheets, including Excel and other related software.
Experience in higher education preferred.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.