How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position is responsible for a variety of ongoing functions and responsibilities in the president's office relating to organizational leadership for project-based and strategic initiatives. This position reports to the intermediate project manager and is part of the team reporting to the Special Counsel to the President. The individual in this position will work closely with the intermediate project manager and the administrative assistant senior on executive searches (positions reporting to the president), honorary degree business, presidential committees, and other projects and assignments. This position is exempt and occasionally requires work on evenings and weekends to accommodate schedules of complex committees and project timelines.
The minimum salary is $55,000.
Provide leadership for the implementation and support of major presidential initiatives, committees, and projects. Under general supervision, administer projects and events; provide support and advice to presidential committees and taskforces, including executive search advisory committees; conduct research and prepare internal reports on various issues related to Office of the President (and University) policies or practices; provide assistance with handling of complex correspondence and inquiries of a sensitive nature, often requiring effective and diplomatic communication with constituents inside and outside of the University; manage select projects and activities of the Office of the President as assigned. Assist with or prepare materials for the president and regents including correspondence for the President's signature. Assist and advise on the development of high-level visitor itineraries, including preparing confidential visitor materials. Monitor, advise and authorize approval of some expenses related to projects and maintain necessary financial records.
- Demonstrated project management skills at a high level in an academic or executive level setting.
- Strong sense of commitment, responsibility, and desire to serve the Office of the President and the mission of the University.
- Ability to organize and pursue complex work, with great attention to detail, and discretion and in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to prioritize them effectively, while working in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision and willingness to work as needed to accomplish tasks and meet deadlines.
- Creative problem-solving skills exercised with sound judgment and ability to anticipate emergent issues and needs, and to handle or advise appropriately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong sense of tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with ability to communicate comfortably with a diverse range of constituents (internal and external) always mindful of representing the Office of the President in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Sound understanding of the higher educational organization, culture, and fundamental values.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience (1-3 years) in higher education administration or a similar setting.
- Understanding of University policies, procedures and regulations, and of the university administrative and functional organization.
- Experience working University operating systems.
- Bachelor’s degree
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.