BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
As a trainee, to operate and maintain large stationary high and low pressure gas or oil fired boilers supplying steam or hot water.
Perform the following duties as a trainee under the direction of Boiler Operators or Operating Engineers:
- Monitor boiler operations and react to varying load requirements.
- Perform constant visual checks, read gauges and manipulate controls.
- Clear lines of sediment.
- Inspect, install and repair steam pipes and insulation, valves, pumps and safety devices.
- Record various meter readings of pressure and temperature.
- Fill salt tanks.
- Add chemicals to condition boiler water and water treatment equipment.
- Perform standard testing procedures and maintain a chemical balance in boiler water according to prescribed procedures.
- Perform conductivity, alkalinity, phosphate, sulphite and other hardness tests.
- Add chemical to boilers needed to maintain a good chemical balance.
- Inspect and adjust control mechanisms.
- Start and shut down boilers with assistance.
- Clean, inspect and perform routine maintenance on equipment and facilities including, but not limited to, oiling, greasing, repairing of furnace refractories and repacking of leaking packing glands.
- Observe fire and safety precautions.
- Graduation from high school, a trade school or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Willingness to attend and ability to successfully complete position related course work as required.
- Ability to tolerate high levels of heat and noise.
- Reasonable mechanical aptitude.
- Some knowledge of safety standards and procedures
- A valid driver’s license.
- Physical ability to perform the full range of duties of the classification.
Shifts will be on a rotating basis
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.