How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are seeking a candidate to fill the position of Outreach Coordinator for HomeFront Strong, a grant-funded resiliency intervention program for military and veteran spouses.
HomeFront Strong is a manualized 8-week group intervention for military/veteran spouses, grounded in evidence-based strategies from cognitive behavioral therapy, positive psychology, and dialectical behavior therapy. The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining and growing a state-wide recruitment strategy to engage and recruit military and veteran spouses into the intervention program. The Outreach Coordinator will work closely with the project team to develop regionally-tailored recruitment plans; identify and attend military and veteran-focused events throughout the targeted regions; present information about the program at military/veteran events; expand reach through advertising with a print ad social media campaign; distribute flyers and other print materials throughout the targeted regions; cultivate relationships with key military/veteran organizations and partners; personally engage and recruit participants; and track all recruitment efforts and activities.
HomeFront Strong is one of a portfolio of programs dedicated to military/veteran mental health under the umbrella of M-SPAN (Military and Support Programs; www.m-span.org) in the Department of Psychiatry and Depression Center. The M-SPAN team is interdisciplinary, and includes representation from social work, psychology, psychiatry, public health, business, communication, and the military.
This position is funded by a Department of Defense grant awarded to Dr. Michelle Kees. This position will report to Jennifer Lamb, LMSW, MSCD.
- Outreach and Engagement Activities
- Maintain and grow region-specific plans for outreach, engagement, and recruitment of military/veteran spouses into the HomeFront Strong program
- Identify and attend military/veteran-related events (e.g., Yellow Ribbon events, hiring fairs, VA sponsored events, etc) as a representative of HomeFront Strong
- Network with the Michigan National Guard, Reserves, VA, military and veteran service organizations, and other military/veteran-connected organizations to promote and recruit for HomeFront Strong.
- Prepare and deliver presentations about HomeFront Strong at outreach events
- Manage and maintain a comprehensive database to track outreach events and engagement activities
- Participant Recruitment
- Personally engage with potential participants at outreach events
- Manage and maintain a comprehensive database to track interested participants and recruitment of participants
- Follow-up with potential participants via phone and e-mail and conduct eligibility screenings
- Assist with conducting participant assessments, including scheduling assessments, consenting participants, and conducting qualitative interviews with participants
- Study Coordination
- Work closely with the project team on all aspects of project implementation
- Participate in weekly team meetings
- Complete reporting requirements necessary for grant funding and institutional approval
- Complete other project-related tasks as requested
The following qualifications are required for this position:
- Bachelor's degee & 4-5 years of related experience.
- Skill and experience in presenting to small and large groups of people
- High level of organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task within deadlines
- High level of professionalism, with a warm, engaging, and outgoing style
- Self-starter who can work independently, and can also collaborate with a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed to attend outreach events
- Reliable transportation to attend outreach events
- Fully proficient in PowerPoint, Excel and other Microsoft Office tools
- Personal or professional experience working with military/veteran populations
- Experience in other types of outreach or participant recruitment
- Knowledge of social media advertising
- Experience working with clinical research projects
This is a full-time position. However, strong candidates wanting less than full-time work will also be considered. There is an expectation of periodic weekend work dependent on the schedule of outreach events.
Primary location for this position will be at the M-SPAN offices in Ann Arbor (2025 Traverwood), with reimbursable travel throughout regions of Michigan to attend and present at outreach events.
In addition to a resume and references, candidates are asked to submit a cover letter that describes past experiences with outreach and engagement, participant recruitment, clinical research studies, and/or involvement with military/veteran populations.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.