In an Ambulatory Care environment, provide customer service to patients and referring providers, through the facilitation of various call center functions including phone triage, maintenance of clinic schedules and appointments, and health record management.
- Demonstrate customer excellence in answering incoming phones and retrieval of voicemail messages.
- Schedule patient appointments and procedures in a timely and accurate manner, and inform patients of any necessary preparation in accordance with established guidelines.
- Initiate, route and follow-up on correspondence with clinicians regarding patient information, including efficient use of the electronic health record system in-boxes.
- Request and obtain accurate and timely health records from outside providers to support continuity of care.
- Prepare patient itineraries and assemble and mail patient information packets
- Efficiently perform general office duties, including faxing, imaging documents, mail sorting and delivery.
- High School diploma or GED.
- 2-3 Experience in Outpatient Ambulatory setting and/or Secretarial experience, Word, Excel, MiChart and Aspect Phone system.
- Ability to work in an environment with multiple staff.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills.
- Has excellent attendance.
- Must adhere to a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills; and demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Must be an active team player with the ability to work independently; possess strong organization and prioritization skills; ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment, and demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Proficient clerical skills including proper telephone technique, typing, computer and data entry skills, as well as, reasonable knowledge of MS Word products.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Possesses strong organization and prioritization skills; ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment, and demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting, scheduling patient appointments.
- Basic medical terminology (may be tested).
- Patient account and/or insurance verification experience.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.