How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are currently seeking a temporary part-time Clinical Social Worker to assist the PI and study team in delivering group psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as part of a clinical trial research study. The therapies are Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) and Muscular Relaxation for PTSD. This is a randomized controlled trial (RCT involving fMRI brain scanning. The Clinical Social Worker / Therapist will work with a primary PI as well as co-investigators throughout the Department of Psychiatry and within the University of Michigan, and will receive clinical supervision by MBCT and PTSD psychotherapy experts. Clinical therapist duties primarily involve conducting weekly study psychotherapy interventions (e.g. MBCT), clinical study documentation and debriefing on fidelity / adherence for each session; study-related and specialized clinical training and clinical preparation, participation in supervision by expert MBCT trainer, participation in research study team meetings with the PI and study team.
- Conducts weekly study psychotherapy interventions (Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy and/or Muscular Relaxation group)
- Documentation and debriefing on fidelity / adherence for each session
- Study-related training and clinical preparation
- Participation in supervision by expert MBCT trainer
- Participation in research study team meetings
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology or health-related science.
- Mental Health license (LMSW, LLMSW, LLP, TLLP, etc) or working toward
- 1-3 years general clinical psychotherapy experience
- Familiarity with Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy or Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction
- Familiarity with psychological treatments for trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder (PSTD)
- Demonstrate knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and a personal commitment to high quality work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to develop rapport with a diverse pool of research participants.
- Ability to collaborate within multi-disciplinary settings and work efficiently as part of a team while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and regularly exercise judgement in setting priorities.
- Master’s Degree (MSW) and license as clinical social worker (LMSW) or Masters-level Psychologist (LLP) preferred, .
- 5+ years of experience working as clinical psychotherapist
- Formal training and qualification in MBCT by UCSD Center for Mindfulness (or equivalent)
- Experience in delivering Mindfulness-based approaches (MBSR, MBCT)
- Experience in teaching Mindfulness and Meditation
- Experience in teaching Yoga or other Mind-Body (Qi Gong, etc)
- Experienced trauma / PTSD psychotherapist
This position is part-time, temporary, dependent upon study schedule. Estimate 5-10 hrs / week
The work schedule is dependent upon when the therapy groups are scheduled – this is likely to be weekday evening (5 – 8 pm) or Saturday afternoon. Flexibility to schedule therapy groups is necessary. We will work with you to schedule. May require personal transport for travel to field locations depending on research protocols.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan participates with the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions that are funded by a federal contract with the FAR E-Verify clause must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. This position is identified as a position that may include the E-Verify requirement.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.