How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Housing & Guest Services Operations
- Manages the day-to-day occupancy management process within the housing community compromised of approximately 700 student beds including applications, contracts, assignments, room changes and annual opening and closing. This includes fall/winter and spring/summer processes.
- Develops and maintains all system administrator functions of Residential Management System (RMS). Creates and maintains data within RMS. Provides reports and queries for individuals, departments and outside entities.
- Trains users and functional teams in the RMS system.
- Maintains accurate student housing files and records through database systems and non-electronic systems. Work within multiple semesters and multiple systems for accurate housing assignments and records for various student categories.
- Reviews all requests for room changes and processes requests including meeting with students as necessary.
- Reviews all contract terminations and coordinates contract termination process.
- Assists with the coordination of all occupancy usage and reporting, including identifying trends, projections and forecasting for future housing needs.
- Corresponds with incoming and current students regarding occupancy status and housing deadlines.
- Coordinates wait-lists for incoming and returning students
- Performs work of a confidential nature including grade audits.
- Works with department and campus partners to coordinate ADA assignments for students with special accommodation needs.
- Works with other campus partners (Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Dining Services, etc.) to implement Housing processes as they pertain to other departments on campus.
- Assists with conferences and guest services, summer camps, visits, and tours.
- Assists with facilities management to ensure daily operations run efficiently including custodial, maintenance, grounds, laundry, and vending.
- Assists with the development and implementation of Living-Learning Communities.
- Develops, and revises manuals and publications which support policies and procedures within the residence halls.
- Assists with all aspects of facilities management for both residence halls.
- Manages the 24/7 desk operation in both residence halls including mail management, key safety, guest check-in, and door and building security systems. This includes implementation and management of related technologies that assist with desk operations.
- Selects, trains, supervises and evaluates approximately 25 front desk assistants.
- Oversees desk schedule and payroll processing
- Ensures desk operations are compliant with related university and department policies and procedures.
- Develops, and revises manuals and which support policies and procedures with desk operations.
Marketing and Recruitment
- Assist in the creation, promotion, implementation and measurement of marketing communication programs for assigned products or brands consistent with overall organizational strategic goals.
- Edits and proofreads all correspondence, reports and materials for publication.
- Implement and maintain Housing website and social media accounts.
- Grows and develops marketing strategies to promote housing accommodations to varying student populations (international, transfer, graduate, etc).
- Implement new technologies as available.
- Assists with marketing for the department of Housing and Residential Life including print, Web site design updates, and utilizing social media.
- Represents Housing & Residential Life in all Admissions (Undergraduate & Graduate) and Orientation related events.
- Manages residential tour space and coordinate daily tours.
- Provides 24 hour on-call first response coverage on a rotating basis.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Serves as a member of the Housing & Residential Life Leadership Team.
- Serves as a mandatory reporter (Clery Act) and responsible employee (Title IX) and immediately reports related incidents according to federal mandates and university policies.
- Participates in activities and programs within the department, division, and university as needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 1-3 years of experience working in residential life/housing or related experience.
• Demonstrated attention to detail.
• Proven experience to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and work to meet deadlines.
• Ability to manage a diverse workload in a timely and professional manner.
• Demonstrated strong communication skills.
• Experience using residential management software applications and student accounts mainframes.
• Considerable proficiency using MS software.
• Knowledge of University of Michigan practices, rules, and procedures.
This position requires a flexible schedule with an occasionally heavy load of evening and weekend commitments and 24/7 response to crisis, while maintaining a visible and predictable presence in the main office during a significant portion of the business hours. The successful candidate needs to regularly walk through all residential facilities. While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to access all floors and public areas of the residence halls. Reasons for floor access may include but are not limited to, facility and safety inspections, emergency response, student policy violations and safety concerns, staff member observation, and availability and outreach to residents. In instances of emergencies, the Housing Coordinator must be able to respond in a timely manner appropriate to the situation.
The Housing Coordinator is a full-time professional, 12-month, live-in position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
This position will remain posted until filled, but resume review will begin November 16, 2018.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.