Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Support the daily operations of the Milk Room to ensure optimal safety for all patients receiving prepared products from the Milk Room. Perform Milk Room operations including: Handling of breast milk, verifying and preparing all breast milk and/or formula feedings per physician orders, delivering prepared products, maintaining a sanitary environment in the preparation area, inventorying Milk Room stock and equipment, and maintaining proper confidentiality and security of all information and data used in the scope of the position. Contact appropriate allied health staff (Lactation Consultants, Nursing etc.) should parents need assistance with lactation and breast milk issues.
- ServSafe Certification-if not currently certified, will successfully attain certification within 90 days of hire.
- Associate's degree granted by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Extensive daily heavy lifting, pushing of carts, walking, and standing in the Milk Room and in patient care units is required to perform the duties of this job.
- Experience and knowledge of proper handling of infant formula and breast milk for preparation and fortification. Knowledge of newborn and pediatric nutrition.
- Experience and knowledge of aseptic techniques.
- Highly functional abilities with technology such as e-mail, computerized ordering systems, word processing, and nutrient analysis software.
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment.
This is a temporary position. This position provides Milk Room coverage seven days a week, 24 hours per day. Position is eligible for afternoon, evening and weekend shift premium.
Supervision Received From: Milk Room Supervisor
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.