This position will ensure the timely and efficient flow of clinical trial billing and reimbursement operations. Updates appropriate procedures when discrepancies are found while working in collaboration with departmental study staff. The position will be responsible for research and analysis of all research-related charges. This analysis requires a comprehensive understanding of research, research protocols and associated documents as well as the ability to review and identify non-standard research charges in physician medical notes. A thorough and current knowledge of all related compliance issues is also critical to this work. This position will identify, research and analyze information from all of these sources, make the determination as to whether a charge is research related and, if so, how it should be billed. In addition, compliance is a major responsibility for the central team especially with the system updates to Epic. This team serves as the primary source for process improvement and enhancement recommendations with both vendors as well as across UMHS. This position will ensure compliance with protocol requirements, institutional billing compliance, and appropriateness of charges and reimbursement. Identifies workflow issues to allow resolution in a timely fashion to determine if charges represent clinical research services and distribute charges appropriately to financial responsible party with solid application of research specific modifiers and research specific code application. Develops and implements systems to support efficient billing and collection strategies to maximize income from clinical trial services and satisfy outstanding clinical research AR with efficiency and timeliness.
Identify potential clinical research charges not specifically defined in research protocols. Researches and analyzes those charges by reading physician medical notes and reviewing research protocols, informed consent forms, and other associated documents. Makes determination as to whether each charge is research related and, if so, how it should be billed. Correction of research billing charges as identified by study teams and business partners.
- Project management skills to independently carry out projects as assigned or appropriate.
- Impeccable attention to detail with a high level of accuracy.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft applications: Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Word and experience with database management.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to function well with conflicting demands and deadlines.
- Well-developed planning, organizational, problem resolution and decision making skills.
- Ability to work successfully within a team environment and as an individual contributor; Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills and demonstrated professionalism in both verbal and written communication.
- Knowledge of 3rd party insurance billing rules and regulations.
- 3-4 years’ experience in a hospital or clinical setting.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.