How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Provides administrative support to the assigned department chairs, faculty members and students within the College of Arts and Sciences. Maintains functionality, appearance, and safety of the office. Assists with the departmental events organization, publicity, communications, and social media.
Office Support and Administrative Services
- Assume primary responsibility for reception (phones and walk-in traffic)
- Monitor class registrations, enrollments, waitlists, and rosters, as requested
- Assist department chairs with calendars and meeting schedules
- Take meeting minutes, as requested
- Prepare correspondence and mailings
- Use effective and professional oral/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Create, maintain, and update documentation and material related to program activities
Social media support and event planning
- Take the lead on event planning, including managing logistics, catering, ticket sales, implementing publicity strategy
- Support planned departmental events (including evenings and weekends)
- Assist in the production of marketing materials, mass emails, event flyers and programs using Adobe Suite software
- Updating department web pages using Drupal, as directed
- Supporting department social media outlets, as requested
Student and Faculty support
- Respond and find general solutions to student needs/problems (incorrect grades, closed sections, drops/adds, overrides, registration, and advising) – using Banner, WebFocus or other systems
- Communicate general established policies, regulations, and procedures in response to student, faculty and general public inquiries
- Provide support to academic advising work by making appointments and maintaining records to document advising efforts
Occasional evenings and weekends are required.
This is an entry level position within the College of Arts and Sciences with opportunities to advance to a higher level position based on merit and performance over time.
- Two years secretarial or related experience.
- High school education or equivalent (GED)
- Strong organizational and communication skills, ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to perform duties in a timely and efficient manner, using good judgment and respecting confidentiality of students, faculty and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with event management and social media.
- Prior experience in an academic environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft products and willingness to learn new software programs such as Banner and WebFocus.
- Knowledge of and ability to use computer software and applications including information storage and retrieval systems.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite software.
- Ability to keyboard with speed and accuracy.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.