How to Apply
In order to apply for this position, please attach a cover letter to your resume. In the cover letter, we ask that, in addition to writing about your fit for the position, you briefly address your experience and professional committment to diversity, inclusion, justice and equity.
The School of Education Dean’s Office is seeking a highly motivated Administrative Assistant to join the Dean’s Office support team from January 7, 2019 to April 30, 2019. The person selected for this position will display the highest level of excellence and professionalism, while performing a full range of general administrative activities in support of the School of Education Dean’s Office and its staff.
Provide a high-level of varied administrative and customer service support for the School of Education Dean’s Office. The Administrative Assistant will support the work of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Teacher Education (ADUTE), support the work of the Chief of Staff and Strategic Advisor to the Dean, and serve as the first point of contact for the front office, providing continuous coverage of the reception desk.
Support for the Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Teacher Education:
- Manage calendar and schedule appointments, often coordinating calendars of other faculty and staff for meetings.
- Support committee work which includes: compiling, organizing and providing background materials for meetings; taking notes during meetings; securing appropriate meeting sites; and assisting with refreshments and technical equipment as needed
- Handle all travel arrangements
- Compile receipts for reconciling select accounts, Pcard and other travel/hosting expenses using Concur and Shared Services as appropriate
- Handle communications, logistics, and all relevant activities related to guest presenters for teacher education-related events
- Serve as a liaison with the Rackham Graduate School and other units on campus
- Generate email communications to send to faculty, staff and students and those external to the university
- Assist in the preparation of presentations, including charts and graphs
- Manage grant competition submissions
- Organize and maintain paper and digital files
- Provide logistical support for courses
- Additional duties, as assigned
Support for the Chief of Staff and Strategic Advisor to the Dean:
- Schedule and maintain calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries, and coordinate related arrangements
- Prepare correspondence, memoranda, reports, and other written materials
- Support meeting requirements, including: preparing and distributing agendas, gathering and distributing materials, and assisting with various meeting needs such as refreshments, equipment and room reservations
- Attend meetings, take notes, and prepare and distribute minutes
- Organize and maintain files
- Screen telephone calls and visitors, and resolves routine and complex inquiries
- Additional duties, as assigned
- Greet Dean’s Office visitors and direct or escort guests to destinations, as appropriate
- Answer main front office telephone line, take messages and forward calls using a multiple-function telephone
- Provide information, directions, answer or direct inquiries and respond to occasional questions or concerns from students, faculty, staff, outside agencies, and the public using provided information or exercising independent judgment to interpret routine processes with the School of Education and the University
Additional Administrative Duties:
- Participate as a member of the Dean’s Office self-directed, collaborative work group of professional support staff to ensure excellent customer service and a positive experience for everyone who comes in contact with the Dean’s Office
- Work as part of a team to discuss and coordinate coverage, shared projects, and policies; resolve problems, concerns and matters arising to the best satisfaction of all involved
- Draft, proofread, and/or edit correspondence of a highly confidential nature
- Initiate, coordinate, and schedule other meetings, as requested
- Conduct additional committee meeting and event support, including room and audio-visual equipment scheduling; catering orders, set-up and clean-up; agendas and taking minutes
- Provide general office operations support, as required
- Provide additional secretarial support for senior staff members, as requested
- High School degree or equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- Two to four years of secretarial or administrative support experience, preferably in an academic setting
- A highly professional demeanor, poise and personal presentation
- The ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and work effectively both as a collaborative member of a team and independently
- Excellent planning, organizational and work coordination skills, including a positive, flexible, responsive, service-oriented attitude
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A high level of effective communication skills on the phone, in person, and in writing
- Strong computer skills including experience with google software, Microsoft office, and doodle.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise discretion, and handle people with diplomacy under stressful situations and in matters of a sensitive and confidential nature
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
This position is to provide coverage at 40 hours per week from Monday, January 7, 2019 to Tuesday, April 30, 2019. The rate for this appointment is $20 per hour.
We respect and value individuals from all races, ethnic backgrounds, ages, genders, religions, sexual orientations, disabilities, economic or veteran status, and other diverse perspectives and individual differences. Further, we are committed to tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, and mutual respect everywhere within our community and we affirm our promise to make the School of Education a welcoming place for all. In seeking new staff members, we are committed to hiring those who share in our reverence and expectation for diversity.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.