The Pediatric Surgery Service at Michigan Medicine CS Mott Children’s Hospital is seeking a dynamic, motivated, experienced and patient-focused Physician Assistant (PA) to join a team of 14 surgeons, 2 fellows, 3 surgical residents, 6 PAs, 2 NPs, 3 RNs, 2 dieticians and a pharmacist collaborating to deliver excellent Pediatric Surgery care.
The PAs on the Pediatric Surgery Service participate in the daily care of patients on the general care floor as well as in the neonatal and pediatric intensive care units under the supervision of the pediatric surgery attending surgeons and fellows. The inpatient PAs participate in daily work rounds led by the fellows, education rounds with the attending physician and places and follows up orders and care plans made in conjunction with the team. The PAs are also instrumental in obtaining consent and explaining surgical procedures and diagnoses to our patients and families. The PAs facilitate scheduling surgical procedures under the guidance of the attending surgeons. A PA in this position is also expected to complete appropriate documentation of admissions/discharges/daily notes, coordination of discharge planning needs and assisting with pre-operative consultations. The PA will perform appropriate bedside and operative procedures (i.e. circumcision, suction rectal biopsy, Broviac catheter repair/removal, gastrostomy tube change). The PA is the first contact for the general care inpatients admitted to our service and is responsible for their minute-to-minute care. There is an occasional need for the PA perform consultations for other inpatient services under the guidance of the attending physician.
While this position will consist almost entirely of inpatient care there are expectations for some outpatient clinic participation when needed usually for help with procedures.
The PA will participate in care conferences, CME education lectures, tumor board, and peer quality review with the attendings and other staff members to assure quality patient care.
Duties are not limited to the above description and will be modified according to patient care needs. The PA will always work under the direction of an attending surgeon.
Positions that Directly Report to this Position
- Pediatric Surgery Service
- Inpatient general care floor, neonatal intensive care unit, pediatric intensive care unit, Emergency Department, outpatient clinic, operating room
- This position has the potential for exposure to bloodborne pathogens and/or other infectious diseases, blood and/or body fluids, latex and chemicals.
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Previous experience with an EMR
- Previous pediatric experience
- Previous ICU experience
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and analytical abilities necessary to formulate medical and surgical interventions
- Interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with neonatal/pediatric patients and their families, physicians, nurses and other ancillary providers within Michigan Medicine and other medical facilities
- Ability to work within an EMR
- Excellent verbal, written and oral communication skills
Hours/Week: 40 Hours
Shift/Hours/Days: Days Mon-Fri
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.