How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Facilities Service Center provides support for campus Facilities & Operations. We are open 24 hours per day, 365 days each year. We never close!
Walk in service, online requests, phone calls and emails are available channels customers use to communicate with us. Maintenance software is used to route work to different areas across campus. The work order is picked up, completed and billed out to the customer. Our involvement includes creating and routing work orders, dispatching maintenance and making sure that the correct entities are billed. We work in a fast-paced, demanding environment that can be stressful during emergency situations (floods, power outages, etc.). Our department has frequent procedural changes to adapt to new situations. We use detailed data to insurance accuracy, so the ability to enjoy finding solutions to puzzling situations is a strong plus.
Our department is highly customer service based. Past experience in this area will be required.
• Provide exceptional service & build rapport with customers from various backgrounds and levels.
• Answer questions related to facilities service work, schedules and billing.
• Collaborative problem solving.
• Use of software queries to correct small problems before they become large problems.
• Follow departmental procedures and organizational policies.
• Communicate respectfully with coworkers.
• Create and edit work orders.
• Assist customers via multiple channels.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Proven exceptional attendance.
• High degree of accuracy in work.
• Two years customer service experience working with a diverse customer base.
• Ability to speak in a clear, professional and courteous manner while under pressure.
• Ability and willingness to learn quickly and to adapt to rapid changes.
• Ability to troubleshoot and foresee potential problems.
• Excellent teamwork skills, including communicating effectively with team members across shifts and locations.
• Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Ability to operate a personal computer using customized software applications.
• 40 wpm keyboard skills – you will be tested.
• HIGH DESIRE TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A FUN, POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT!
- Knowledge of maintenance, facilities, construction, grounds and utility terminology.
- Knowledge of building systems, i.e. mechanical, electrical, etc. and other trade specific knowledge.
This is a part time 20 hour per week position, working Saturday 7 am to 5 pm and Sunday 7 am to 5 pm. Because we are a 24 hour service center, there may be random needs to cover alternate shifts. This position has the option to become a full time position in the future.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Please note: The salary for this position is $32,000 per year for a full-time appointment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.