Provides general clerical support in a busy patient care environment. Delivers excellent customer service to patients by facilitating business processes at the check-in desk. Verifies insurance eligibility, ensures referral and other authorization requirements are met for optimal reimbursement. Determine the existence of previous registration and obtain, verify and update insurance, financial and demographic information with the patient. Confirm, notify and remind patients of appointment and/or changes. Inform patients of necessary preparations prior to visit or test in accordance with established guidelines. Responds to inquiries concerning department programs, services and activities.
- High School diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- 0-2 years of experience.
- Some clerical experience, preferably in a medical setting is necessary.
- General office practices, ability to understand medical documentation, coding and diagnosis.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Candidate must be an active team player and be able to work independently.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills are required along with excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Exhibits professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates strong problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional Interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Clerical experience in medical hospital/office setting.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Previous experience with automated scheduling system.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine electronic medical records systems.
Monday thru Friday with an evening shift 11:30am-8:00pm and rotating Saturdays.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.