How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Product Management team in the Office of Academic Innovation is seeking a highly qualified individual to support the growth of academic innovation across University of Michigan’s Ann Arbor campus. This individual will be responsible for imagining, designing and supporting the experiences of Academic Innovation’s faculty partners. This individual will work with the online learning teams, the tools and technologies teams, and the public engagement team to amplify their efforts by recruiting new faculty into the academic innovation network, increasing faculty innovator satisfaction, and celebrating the work of our faculty partners. The faculty experience designer will report to the Director of Strategic Initiatives and be a core part of the product management team.
Are an active listener that can synthesize what you hear into a digestible framework. You enjoy taking an ill-structured problem, right-sizing it and building skills or relationships to answer that problem. You are very comfortable facilitating discussions amongst diverse groups of all sizes and can stay positive even when encountering resistance. You are thoughtful about what makes a delightful experience for faculty. You have an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach to your work and a passion for higher education. You pursue context relentlessly.
You are known for being a people person and being able to nurture a wide professional network. You are very good at hearing nuance in a discussion, synthesizing it, and working to make sure the needs of a diverse audience are being accounted for in a discussion. You are comfortable translating between technical experts and users.
You are very good at keeping projects moving, identifying roadblocks, and seeking help to shift those roadblocks when necessary. You enjoy imagining how service experiences could be different, in order to meet the needs of all of the faculty: more motivating, more engaging, more equitable. You advocate for user needs while not overpromising what can be done. You recognize that change is hard and want to work with instructors to support that hard work. You put in the effort to understand the problem an innovator is facing before accepting solutions at face value.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Identifies topics for, and organizes, the suite of Academic Innovation learning communities/communities of practice.
- Recruits faculty participants for focus groups and user experience testing
- Consults with faculty at the ideation phase of a project - prior to faculty proposal submission - to scope the potential project appropriately
- In collaboration with other Academic Innovation teams, develops metrics of innovator satisfaction, tracks said metrics and leads efforts to improve innovator satisfaction
- Develops channels for increasing visibility of, and celebrating, faculty contributions to academic innovation
- Works with leadership in Academic Innovation to support the efforts of the Academic Innovation Advisory Committee and related groups
- Master’s Degree and 2-3 years of related experience building successful programs, products, or initiatives, or combination of bachelor’s degree and extensive experience
- Experience working with or in higher education, or comparable experience
- A history of tackling big projects systematically with positive results
- Skill in promoting diversity and inclusion and bringing an equity focus to our work
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and service-oriented attitude
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Excellent team and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Experience working in research universities
- Higher education teaching experience
- Experience facilitating workshops, design sprints, or related experiences
- Comfort and facility with learning new technologies
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.