How to Apply
Help the University of Michigan reimagine the future of education. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university. Academic Innovation is a fast paced startup environment leveraging modern technologies, languages and approaches. Work with complex data and cloud based solutions. Be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team that focuses on creativity and impact; automation and iteration.
Are a self-driven technical expert who enjoys conceiving and implementing solutions to complex real world problems. You think in terms of abstraction, modularity and reuse. You architect your projects to both address the situation in front of you and optimize for future flexibility. You know how to work backward to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration and think in terms of efficiency and sustainability, pursuing automation and reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your releases. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are comfortable presenting your ideas to your team and stakeholders. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen to the expertise of others and when to lead with your own.
You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Serve as a primary developer for project level application development.
- Direct and review the work of student and junior developers and designers
- Assist DevOps Engineers in determining and implementing deployment solutions
- Maintain technical familiarity with mainstream and emerging technologies
- Advise on technical choices and direction for the Academic Innovation portfolio
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, instructional designers, faculty, researchers, and students, at the University of Michigan
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- At least 2 years of professional software development experience
- Ability to take design specifications and create working HTML5/CSS
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.