How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. Cover letters must not exceed one page. Resumes must not exceed two pages. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume. The letter should:
- specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
- succinctly outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the Intermediate level salary range of $56,538 - $73,500 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Intermediate level expectations. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Associate level salary range of $47,476 - $59,000.
The Enterprise Application Services (EAS) department within Information and Technology Services (ITS) has an immediate opening for an Application Developer on the Student Administration team. As a member of a high performing team, the developer will have the opportunity to work in a collaborative environment on a variety of projects using the PeopleSoft suite of technologies including PeopleTools Application Designer, BI Publisher, Integration Broker, SQR and more. The developer will collaborate with business system analysts and technical infrastructure teams to create new solutions, integrate applications using APIs, address application issues and perform application maintenance. This role provides an opportunity to make a positive impact on mission-critical applications used to support the University’s students, faculty and staff.
- Works independently on complex application development tasks, including those that cross organizational boundaries.
- Develops, enhances, implements and maintains web and batch applications, reports, queries and system integrations.
- Leads and coordinates projects, forecasts required time and resources, provides status reports and follows established methodology. Independently prioritizes the completion of tasks and resolution of issues to ensure compliance to project budget and deliverables.
- Collaborates with customers and business systems analysts to identify solutions that meet the needs of the customer and the organization. Analyzes business requirements and develops designs for applications.
- Applies vendor provided software patches and maintenance. Develops and executes test plans to support infrastructure and software upgrades and releases. Maintains all appropriate documentation, such as status reports and change logs. Follows established standards, methodologies and control processes.
- Provides production support including problem analysis and resolution, on-call support, job scheduling, monitoring, tuning and end-user support. Collaborates with various groups (customers, service center, technical infrastructure) to identify and resolve application issues.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the business and administrative processes. Seeks out learning opportunities relative to the position. Effectively communicates with management, co-workers, teams, business offices and subject matter experts. Provides training, guidance and assistance to staff to successfully accomplish objectives. Leads and participates in process improvement initiatives.
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Creative Problem Solving: Demonstrates the ability to provide the necessary attention to solve complex problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo. Demonstrates the ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve problems.
- Leadership / Achievement Orientation: Understands what is expected to do the job well, functions effectively on a team, achieves deadlines, accepts accountability for mistakes and takes corrective action. Works independently and seeks direction or assistance as needed. Takes ownership of processes and assignments, prioritizes tasks as necessary for efficiency, accuracy and timely completion.
- Communication: Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers. Uses appropriate methods of communication (face-to-face, etc.) to achieve desired results. Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively to groups, varying style to fit the audience, actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding.
- Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: Understands and accepts the need for change. Cooperates in implementation and constructively voices concerns and proposes alternatives. Demonstrates the ability to plan, implement and communicate effective change approaches within established and changing deadlines.
- Quality Service: Demonstrates the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service. Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective and to assess urgency of requests and responds accordingly. Demonstrates a focus on fulfilling expectations by seeking insight into customer needs and developing solutions that provide value for the customer.
- Building Relationships / Interpersonal Skills: Respects diversity, demonstrates respect for the opinions of others and values each person’s contribution to the team. Develops and maintains positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Uses formal/informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in a related role requiring systems analysis, design, development, implementation, support, maintenance, customer service, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and independent problem solving skills.
- Experience working with relational database technology to support web applications.
- Experience designing and developing web applications using structured techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of application integration technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of application development and process improvement methodologies.
- Proficiency with one or more procedural or object oriented programming languages.
- Proficiency with reporting tools, query writing and SQL.
- Demonstrated successful performance with coordinating and completing multiple tasks to meet changing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and communicate it to others using clear, concise and user-friendly language.
- Proficiency with automated system-to-system integration using standard integration techniques.
- Previous experience using or creating APIs and Web Services.
- Previous experience designing user interfaces for a diverse user population.
- Previous experience developing, customizing and supporting applications using Oracle/PeopleSoft application development tools, including PeopleTools, PeopleCode, SQR, COBOL, Application Engine, Integration Broker, Web Services and BI Publisher.
- Previous technical experience working with Oracle (PeopleSoft) Campus Solutions or another enterprise student information system related to student recruiting, admissions, financial aid, financial services, records, curriculum and/or academic advisement.
- Previous experience using the PeopleSoft Update Manager to apply delivered application maintenance.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is No. 20 in annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.