How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization has an exciting opportunity to employ a Service Support Leader to oversee the strategy, design and service model for improvement of technologies and processes used to enable an enterprise-wide customer centric service delivery model. Our shared vision in ITS is a laser focus on the service experience, this leader will help translate that vision into a reality while working with ITS Service Governance, Service Owners and the Executive Director of Support Services.
As the leader of the Service Support team in ITS Support Services, you will lead the team working to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of IT operations through a thoughtful integration of process and technologies. You will proactively guide product direction and direct both technical and non-technical staff, in a leadership role, in alignment with governance. The role will enable an enterprise platform for coordination and collaboration between campus partners dedicated to a shared customer base. You will be responsible for leading the design of the Service Management architecture, which includes integrations across multiple technologies and data sources. Additionally, you will shepherd the development and adherence to software development lifecycle standards within the environment that supports timely and accurate development documentation, code review procedures, testing and solution diagrams. As part of an interactive team environment, you will lead, in partnership, in development of future roadmaps and tactical execution plans to support broader Service Management and other key initiatives. As a leader, working with governance, you will assess current implementation and previous analyses to establish a fresh product roadmap, including potential incremental and transformational improvements. You will also oversee the customer relations group, helping to ensure that ITS is proactively serving the U-M community and prioritizing continual service improvement.
We are looking for a creative and collaborative leader, who is willing to question status quo, take calculated risks and seek every opportunity to advance the organization in the area of the customer experience. In this role, you will report to the Executive Director of Support Services.
For more information about the department of ITS, please visit our website: www.its.umich.edu/
Provide leadership, direction and management of a team responsible for process design, change management, training and service management platform design and administration. Collaborate and consult with team members and other ITS teams, campus partners and outside vendors to ensure quality of current and new processes are provided, open issues are addressed, procedures followed, training developed and delivery of new and innovative capabilities. Prepare and review budgets and approve expenditures.
- Oversee and drive the path to a standard and feature-full, implementation of a platform to support Service Management functions.
- Build and nurture effective relationships to influence a large IT organization as well as to partner with the greater campus community.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving, accountability and communication skills when developing and approving staffing plans and schedules, proposals and budgets resulting in effective planning and appropriate use of funds and resources.
- Responsible for management, development and supervision of staff that includes recruitment and selection of high caliber people from diverse cultures, backgrounds and experiences.
Establish Appropriate Use of Service Management Platform
- Collaborate across the organizations within Information Technology Services (ITS) and University of Michigan (U-M) community to plan, prioritize and lead efforts to deliver the Service Management roadmap and capabilities.
- Effectively utilizes leadership and critical thinking skills to: collaborate across the organization and U-M, resulting in setting and approving operational priorities for the team in the context of the larger picture of organizational goals and strategy.
- Lead in strategic planning efforts for Service Management capabilities. Works with key stakeholders such as ITS Service Governance and campus customers to create a roadmap to deliver service management capabilities through tooling, process design, change management, training, etc.
- Through creative change management, delivery improvements and to enhance and improve business operations.
Directly Support Culture of Continual Service Improvement and Oversee Team Operations
- Demonstrate effective staff development, communication skills and leadership skills as evident by: mentoring staff; providing accurate, specific and timely feedback; providing financial and non-financial recognition consistent with the organization’s compensation philosophy; identifying and approving training; and, sharing knowledge and expertise, resulting in staff that has a clear understanding of expectations and performance, recognition for contributions and opportunities for skill and career growth.
- Demonstrates skill development by actively participating in professional growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills/knowledge to the job as evident by the ability to perform assigned duties efficiently and effectively, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer expectations and performance metrics.
- Stays current with relevant advances in relevant technologies. Responsible for maintaining and sharing knowledge of policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services.
- Provides oversight of the application development practices within the Service Management environment; including scripting, integrations, configuration, development and application maintenance.
- Designs, deploys and participates in formal code review, technical documentation, testing and other key procedures as needed.
- Works on assigned projects and responsible for collaborating with project implementation teams to architect and build infrastructure that complies with vendor and customer requirements.
- Changing IT landscape. This includes, but is not limited to, items such as discovery and service mapping within cloud service models, integrations with university ERP systems or establishing API’s for our partners.
- Continually seeks improvement opportunities to automate and create efficiencies in production support, makes recommendations and drives implementation efforts for improvements.
- Actively monitors and manages the prioritization, resource allocation and work throughput of production support, quick wins and project work for Service Management technical related work items within a common team approach.
- Manage the execution of the technical resources to the project. Develops implementation and contingency plans, and timelines for projects. Provides status reports, exchanges relevant information with management and project teams and meets timelines. Provides accurate time estimates for tasks, identifies impacted teams and notifies management of potential risks and issues.
- Utilize leadership, analytical and creative problem solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills, along with standard processes and methodologies, as evident by successful management and implementation of projects (including upgrades) resulting in effective collaboration across the organization and project completion that meets requirements and quality expectations and is on time.
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably, respectfully and effectively, via email, letters and in person to teams, customers and in front of a group of teams. Demonstrated listening skills: attentive, asks clear and relevant questions (without interrupting); paraphrases what is said. Expresses oneself non-verbally showing respect, attentiveness and understanding. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with those with differing opinions and levels of understanding, varying style to fit the audience and organizational/unit politics and tailoring presentations for the audience. Uses effective strategies, arguments and materials to persuade others with different opinions.
- Leadership: Demonstrated behavior aligned with the values and ethics of the organization and profession. Organizes others by identifying resources needed to accomplish the goal, assigning and prioritizing tasks, understanding the functions and interrelationships of the work area, scoping out length and orchestrating multiple activities to accomplish a goal. Sets and measures performance against goals and evaluates results. Keeps detailed records of others' activities. Ensures quality of others work. Recognizes the achievement and contributions of others. Demonstrated ability to develop specific action plans, achieve deadlines or milestones, accept accountability for mistakes, take corrective action, hold others accountable to their commitments, resolve team conflicts with finesse and to get involved when the achievement of a milestone or goal is at risk. Demonstrated ability to work independently, respond quickly in a crisis, build rapport and credibility with others and assume a broad range of responsibility. Experience delegating and empowering others, sets challenging goals for oneself and others, creates and promotes a diverse and learning environment, checks for understanding and provides resources and guidance. Remains calm and provides a stabilizing influence during change and transition. Creates an environment of accountability, safety and environmental responsibility. Broadly impacts the organization's overall success, links strategy and goals and fosters a commitment to the vision of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in a technical leadership role.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a product management, enterprise service delivery or platform management.
- Skills managing a ServiceNow or comparable environment.
- Proven ability to break complex technical challenges down into tactical steps with appropriate timing, phases and business impact considerations.
- Demonstrated experience as an application developer in a SaaS solution with on-premise integrations across multiple systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the broader infrastructure the application operates within and the ability to translate impacts and participate in decision making, such as network, authentication, MID servers and cloud service models.
- Proven ability to design, build and support systems with complex data segmentation and information assurance requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to efficiently manage day-to-day system administration, service restoration tasks and root-cause analysis across the Service Management environment
- Demonstrated experience in application development and technical environment design
- Proven experience with a broad array of technologies and platforms
- Proven ability to lead, mentor and guide Tier 3 Operations teams to meet customer expectations
- Demonstrated experience with operational continuous improvement programs
- Two (2) + years experience as a ServiceNow Administrator or developer
- Two (2) + years experience with cloud service models from the perspective of the run environment, which might include monitoring alert, discovery, tagging principles, understanding impact on service changes, etc...
- One (1) + years working with infrastructure discovery, service mapping and automation technologies
- Three (3) + years experience as a lead in an application development team operating under an agile model
- Two (2) + years experience with configuring applications to meet requirements associated with data segmentation, information assurance and security protocols.
- Experience configuring application management capabilities, such as monitoring, automated testing and reusable code / workflow libraries.
- Certification or working knowledge of concepts of ITIL
- Experience implementing and supporting large scale enterprise solutions with competing customer demands
- Ability to communicate technical information in simple, human-readable terms.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Work Schedules / Locations
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required
- Primarily Monday through Friday, day shift
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends
- Primarily University of Michigan, Ann Arbor campus however may require travel to various locations on and off university campus
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is No. 20 in annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.