How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is seeking a Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician to work at the Orthotics and Prosthetics Center.
Why work for UM Orthotics and Prosthetic Center?
UM Orthotics and Prosthetics Center, a Division of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, provides state-of-the-art services to adults and children requiring orthotic and prosthetic devices and is committed to providing outstanding customer service. For over 100 years the University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center has provided exceptional service to a diverse patient population and is the largest, free standing O&P facility in the nation. We are an Ambulatory Center, easily accessible on South Industrial Drive and have onsite parking.
- Independently fabricate Orthotic and Prosthetic devices according to clinical work order. Deliver a professionally fabricated device to provide the patient optimal fit, function, cosmesis and workmanship.
- Follow procedures as dictated by Lean Thinking guidelines.
- Fabricate orthoses to support the orthotist in providing care to patients with congenital and/or traumatic disabling conditions of the musculoskeletal structure of the body.
- Fabricate prostheses to support the prosthetist in providing care to patients with partial or total absence of a limb.
- Perform repairs and maintenance of orthotic and prosthetic devices
- Provides on-call & walk-in coverage as needed.
- Assist in training and orienting fellow orthotic and/or prosthetic technicians, O&P residents, students and volunteers.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by Orthotic and Prosthetic Fabrication Laboratory Manager and O&P Clinical and Technical Director.
- Prior experience in the orthotics and prosthetics
- Ability to efficiently meet deadlines while maintaining quality in a fast paced environment
- Must have excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Self-starter with the ability to train, motivate and educate staff
- Creative craftsman with proven problem solving skills
- Certified by the American Board for Certification as a Prosthetic and Orthotic Technician (CTPO)
- Upper extremity prosthetic fabrication
- Minimum five years experience as an ABC Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician
- Current with certification and new fabricating techniques
- Skilled in the use of all fabrication lab tools and equipment
- Knowledgeable of material properties pertinent to O&P
- Must be able to multi-task in a dynamic fabrication lab
Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM
PM&R Orthotics & Prosthetics Center, Industrial Hwy., Ann Arbor
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.