How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
ABOUT THE STEPHEN M. ROSS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today's dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to develop leaders who make a positive difference in the world. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.Ross is consistently ranked among the world's leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the BBA, MBA, Part-time MBA (Evening and Weekend formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Supply Chain Management, Master of Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open-enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management.
About Executive Education
The Executive Education Center originated in Ann Arbor, MI, USA in 1935 and by the 1940’s was offering an array of courses, workshops, and conferences with an overwhelming response from corporations. Today, the Center offers approximately 30 different public program offerings and a variety of custom programs annually serving over 4,000 business executives around the world. Since the early 90’s we have had a presence in Hong Kong, Mumbai, and Barcelona. We deliver programs globally, wherever our corporate clients request. We are proud that both our open enrolment and custom programs for Executive Development are highly regarded.
The Assistant Director, Custom Programs will enable Ross EE to achieve revenue and margin growth goals through client relationship management and overseeing the execution of sold programs in existing clients. The AD works as part of a portfolio team overseen by a Managing Director or Senior Managing Director.Using outstanding client relationship management skills, the individual in this role oversees delivery of contracted work to ensure the programs exceed expectations and lead to repeat business and new business. As a team leader for assigned key accounts, this individual provides day to day communication and leadership to the Program Managers assigned to his/her accounts.While the role is focused on executing sold work with existing clients, the candidate will develop in role to grow into more proactive business development responsibilities in the future. In this context, the candidate will work alongside the Managing Director to assist with elements of the business development process such as participating in client meetings, preparing proposals, making presentations, and contracting work. The candidate will become familiar with the faculty and what they teach, and how to translate client needs into concise descriptions of Ross curriculum.Over time, the selected candidate will build a portfolio of target accounts, mostly existing, with new clients added as they are acquired by the Managing Director and members of the portfolio team. A successful portfolio grows through excellent execution of sold work leading to repeat business, careful listening for new opportunities within existing clients, and through identifying and converting new leads. An effective Assistant Director will learn in the role to become a master at applying the full range of Ross and U of M resources to meet client needs, and will aspire to be a future Managing Director. This position will include a mix of in-house and travel-based activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contributes to our positive and inclusive work community by building trusting partnerships across the school, continually learning, creating impactful experiences, and working with a sense of ownership for outcomes. Approaches this work with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind; treating others with respect, dignity, and in a manner where individuals feel they belong; listens, values feedback, and learns from the perspectives of others.
Custom Account Management
- Manage selected existing corporate accounts to enhance relationships and grow the business.
- Manage and oversee assigned existing client contracts.
- Enhance, maintain and grow the footprint of Ross EE services within the account.
- Serve as day-to-day point of contact with the Program Management staff to ensure they have complete and timely information required to achieve their responsibilities.
- Cultivate teamwork and “1 team” approach for client teams working across all EE functions.
- Achieve revenue targets for existing programs within assigned accounts, and new programs in existing accounts.
- Create and execute business development plans for assigned accounts.
Other Client Management Responsibilities
- Conduct needs assessments and determine overall account potential of existing major clients.
- Assist the Managing Director to prepare proposals.
- Assist Managing Director to create and deliver presentations.
- Assist Managing Director in lead generation and inbound lead conversion.
- Develop deeper management education / professional development expertise.
Special Assignments / Projects
- Serve on special assignment teams and/or projects as required in support of portfolio team goals. For example, creating new approaches for successfully executing multi-month residential programs, or leading projects to launch new program designs.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- At least 7 years of progressive experience in related positions in a complex matrix organization or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated client-oriented temperament and client relationship instincts to ensure client satisfaction.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm and poised during times of ambiguity or conflict.
- Excellent communication skills, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Effective presentation skills are required, with potential to become an outstanding presenter.
- Candidates will possess analytical ability to assess the environment and the competition, anticipate future business needs, and develop creative ideas.
- Demonstrated aptitude for business development as a basis for growth in the role. (Likes selling)
- Demonstrated ability to network and effectively build relationships at multiple levels inside and outside the organization.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be inclined to take initiative without waiting for direction, and be resourceful.
- Takes responsibility for achieving results even when many factors are not under direct authority.
- Solves problems by assessing the situation, identifying root causes, and creating solutions in cooperation with others without blame.
- Superior organizational and customer service orientation is critical.
- Exhibits a positive attitude and spirit.
- Builds positive relationships and demonstrates respectful engagement with coworkers.
- Successful demonstration of initiative, team orientation and leadership skills including the ability to manage and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point) CRM, and database applications, i.e., PeopleSoft (or comparable system) is expected.
- Fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English, and able to interpret and conduct business conversations in both languages.
- In depth knowledge of unique requirements of Chinese clients.
- MBA, M.S. or continuing education in Organization Development, or related HR/Learning & Development credentials are preferred.
- Familiarity with Leadership Development tools and approaches.
- Previous experience overseeing learning & development programs within executive education, corporate or consulting settings is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of University policies, procedures and regulations is desirable but not required
- Previous experience in higher education is helpful but not required
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- The person in this position routinely communicates with faculty and corporate executives
- The person in this position routinely works at a desk making phone calls and working on the computer
- The person in this position routinely moves through the facility to attend meetings/events and access files or information
- The person in this position may be required to move books and class materials weighing up to 20 pounds to class locations or other venues for student residencies or other events
Michigan Ross values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of diverse and culturally intelligent staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.