How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
University of Michigan strives to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan aspires to make the University of Michigan the leader in the appropriate use of technology among our peers and beyond. If you are inspired by ideas that challenge the present and enrich the future, consider joining our team. ITS Infrastructure supports the University of Michigan and the life-changing work of its faculty, students and staff by providing them access to world class networking and telecommunications services, secure and resilient compute and storage services and operating the enterprise applications that help drive the business of the University.
One of the aims of this position is to accelerate ITS Infrastructure’s ongoing efforts to transition from a ticket-based, manual effort driven group to one using software and automation to instantiate, manage and change systems and services. This change is necessary as part of ITS’ efforts to transition to a more modern IT organization, one based on leveraging tools and technologies such as Ansible, Jenkins, Python, Git, Kubernetes and Docker. It is our expectation that the amount of work and the number of services managed by ITS teams will only increase over time and the only way to keep ahead of the amount of work is to increase productivity by automating routine tasks and changing the way we approach IT in general.
There are numerous efforts underway within ITS Infrastructure to automate provisioning, configuration and management of the different systems supported by Infrastructure. The person hired into this position will play a key role in helping lead these efforts and ensuring cohesion across the different lines of business and services within Infrastructure.
Part of transitioning the organization to one adept at leveraging software to manage our systems and service and operating in a way that is reflective of a more modern IT organization is training and staff development. In order to fully deliver and utilize training, our selected candidate will provide ongoing support and guidance to teams across ITS as they look to leverage modern IT tools and capabilities.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: www.its.umich.edu/.
The Infrastructure Software Architect Lead will be responsible for leading efforts to modernize U-M systems and applications to better operate in a modern infrastructure operating environment. To that end, the key responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide a vision for system and application automation and orchestration
- Identify and evaluate current systems to define a roadmap that maximizes the use of advanced technology
- Develop solution architectures for new enhancements, systems and technologies
- Evaluate existing frameworks and/or develop new frameworks that will be used by agile teams responsible for implementing a solution architecture or enhancement design
- Deliver and improve on current automated procedures to support the infrastructure as code methodology
- Establish practices, methodologies and processes for automation, infrastructure as code and work to incorporate them across different teams in the organization
- Serve as a subject matter expert on automation tools and technologies
- Design and deliver training to appropriate staff on the use of modern IT tools, technologies and methodologies such as Ansible, Git, Jenkins, Packer, Terraform, Docker, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Engage with open source projects and submit changes, bug fixes, and enhancements as appropriate
- Develop custom software or extend existing software to accomplish the goals of the role
- Minimize impacts of application deployments and upgrades by driving automation of building, testing and deploying applications
- Educate and evangelize automation best practices across the organization to ensure all possible benefits are realized
- Coordinate with - and lead as appropriate - other technical and subject matter experts to ensure strong alignment across various lines of business to ensure interoperability and collaboration
- Manage and implement architecture for existing and new services while optimizing the architecture for both on-prem and off-prem environments and maintaining operational stability
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
ARCHITECTURE - Provides leadership for automation, orchestration:
- Provide end-to-end solution expertise to determine best architecture and services to meet the business requirements
- Define architecture and development best practices, supporting the approval and implementation within the service development team
- Provide a vision for system and application automation and orchestration
- Lead efforts to transition the organization to leverage and utilize modern IT methodologies, tools, technologies and practices
- Work with other architects and technical experts across Information and Technology Services and U-M to create and maintain a consistent automation architecture framework
- Develop practices and processes to appropriately leverage modern tools and technologies to support the infrastructure as code methodology
- Develop documentation processes and procedures in managing and securing infrastructure making sure best practices are always followed
ENGINEERING - Develops and delivers solutions for system and application automation:
- Serve as a subject matter expert in automation tools and assist others in their use
- Implement and assist in implementing, automation across multiple systems that improves current operating environments and deployment practices
- Manage automation and orchestration tools and systems to ensure functionality, availability and interoperability
PROJECT WORK - Contributes to major projects and programs to ensure automation is built in from the ground up and overall architecture principles and policies are followed:
- Serve as technical lead to collaborate with application migration teams and application teams to ensure all possible benefits of automation and orchestration are captured
- Coordinate the efforts to migrate systems and applications to on-prem and off-prem environments and to transform current environments to be more “cloud”-like
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS - Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining, updating and sharing knowledge of architecture concepts and practices, policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services. This can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
- Develop and deliver training to other staff to increase overall knowledge and skill level
- Offer consultation and one-on-one work sessions to staff and workgroups working to adopt automation and orchestration technologies
- Demonstrate skill development by actively participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills and knowledge to the job as evidenced by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer expectations and performance metrics
- Demonstrate effective communication skills when providing training and mentoring to lesser-experienced staff, resulting in staff and teams using and implementing the latest policies, procedures and best practices to accomplish tasks
- A Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience in relevant fields
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience with system architecture, software development, system automation, and managing and facilitating groups.
- Demonstrated experience with:
- automation tools such as Ansible and Salt
- software development using procedural and/or functional languages such as Python
- determining project objectives and requirements, anticipating and solving problems and developing standards and guidelines for diverse activities
- Experience with:
- containers and container management systems such as Docker and Kubernetes
- continuous integration tools such as Jenkins
- Broad experience with - and knowledge of - infrastructure technologies and topics such as networking, virtualization, Linux and Windows system administration, network and direct attached storage and databases
- Use and knowledge of public cloud services such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in project management and analysis, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Excellent organizational, research, analytical and independent problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, via email, letters and in person to teams and customers including executive leadership. Successful performance with presentations
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and to understand technical information and communicate it to others using clear, concise and user-friendly language
- Demonstrated success with coordinating and completing multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines
- Ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a leading member of a highly-functioning and productive team
- High attention to detail
- Experience building systems in and migrating systems to hybrid or fully cloud-based solutions
- Experience developing complex software involving a number of contributors
- Experience deploying infrastructure and applications at scale
- Experience managing and monitoring systems and applications
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is No. 20 in annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.