Logistics, Transportation & Parking (LTP) is seeking interested individuals to work in support of various university transportation services, Including SafeRide.
The motor vehicle operator's primary responsibility is to transport members of the university community in a safe and timely manner. Drivers are expected to have a good working knowledge of campus geography, university buildings/landmarks, and common routes around campus in order to effectively transport passengers to their final destinations. Besides driving, operators are expected to connect with their passengers in order to effectively communicate and provide friendly customer service. The service areas vary depending on what service is being provided, but in general they are limited to the University of Michigan’s Ann Arbor Campuses and the area immediately surrounding it.
Selected candidates will be expected to learn all duties associated with the position, including driving and possible dispatching duties. Candidates must be able to take passenger requests via a ride request mobile application and use a tablet to record their daily work. On the job training will be provided to all selected candidates.
This position requires candidates to obtain and/or maintain a medical certificate and is subject to pre-employment and random DOT drug screens.
Because of the depth of responsibility surrounding student transportation, the most desirable candidate is one who is reliable, has a professional demeanor, and the ability to learn the responsibilities of the job. Because the candidate will ultimately become a representative of his/her department, candidates must be friendly, courteous, knowledgeable about the service, and familiar with Ann Arbor and University Campus locations.
- Must possess, or obtain a Michigan Chauffeur Driver License before hire and have a good driving record.
- Must pass a DOT pre-employment drug screen and DOT physical.
- Must be able to work at least 3 nights per week (services run 7 days a week during school year)
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Ann Arbor campus environment and map reading skills, be dependable, and have good customer service skills.
- Ability to operate a computer, smart phone, tablet and have basic computing skills.
- Ability to follow detailed procedures.
- Demonstrate flexible and creative problem solving skills.
- Must be able to pay attention to details of the trip and rider interactions. Must be willing to work with the research team on improvement ideas and provide feedback.
- Must be willing and able to perform work for any services/research projects within the department that utilizes MVO employees.
Licensure & Certification
- Must possess, or obtain a Michigan Chauffeur Driver License before hire.
- Must possess, or obtain a DOT Medical Certificate before hire.
Work hours are 7:45 PM to 3:00 AM, but may change or vary.
**NOTE: Your driver license number must be included in your application to be considered.**
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.