- Work in both ambulatory clinic and inpatient units to obtain blood and urine specimens according to laboratory specifications, following written procedures without deviation.
- Obtain specimens using phlebotomy, alternate access device, dermal puncture and heel stick (newborn).
- Handle all specimens according to test specifications, prepare specimens for transport and ensure proper delivery to central lab in a timely manner.
- Utilize electronic medical record (MiChart) and laboratory information system (Soft) to monitor order requests.
- Model professional and respectful behavior at all times, providing the highest level of service to all internal and external customers.
- Work effectively with others to accomplish common goals.
- Maintain a safe work environment by adhering to institutional and departmental policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- A minimum of 1 year of phlebotomy experience is required for the Specialist level.
- Considerable experience in phlebotomy, including but not limited to work with pediatric patients.
- Phlebotomy Certification or equivalent coursework.
- Demonstrated experience working in a team environment.
- Proficient in basic computer functions.
This full time, 40 hour position is on the evening shift.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.