Provides timely and customer friendly service during the delivery, set-up and preventive maintenance of medical and pharmaceutical equipment. As applicable, answers patient questions or directs patients to the appropriate professional/clinical staff.
- Participate in area work functions, including but not limited to: picking supplies for patient orders, and delivering patient home infusion pharmaceutical, enteral, and equipment orders.
- Maintain a commitment to quality and safety by following area standardized processes and participate in area quality and process improvement initiatives.
- Perform and provide delivery, set-up, and retrieval service in the home care setting for pediatric, adult and geriatric populations.
- Transfer medical, surgical and pharmaceutical supplies and equipment to patient homes according to a prearranged schedule. Assist patients in securing pharmaceutical, medical supplies and equipment within the home adhering to appropriate storage guidelines.
- Collaborate and communicate with coworkers effectively through direct interaction with pharmacy technicians, pharmacists, nurses and dietitians, other Home Care Service Technicians and Home Care Services (HCS) staff.
- Communicate pertinent changes regarding patients, including demographics and supply issues, to appropriate staff such as Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacists, Dietitians, Nurses and other Home Care Services staff.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date order / delivery records and other documentation as specified by UMHS Home Care policy and procedure.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient and proprietary information by observing legal and ethical guidelines for safeguarding the confidentiality of patient and proprietary information.
- Maximize work efficiency through the use of computers and other technologies as evidenced by proficient skill in accessing and entering information necessary to perform job functions.
- Participate in night, weekend, and holiday on call program. Adhere to alternating shift, day, and weekend rotation work assignments.
- Maintain competency in all job functions.
- Complies with all University of Michigan Health System and departmental standards and expectations.
Other Related Duties:
- Forklift certification and operation is desired (department to provide).
- Assist in disinfecting and preventative maintenance of Durable Medical Equipment and reusable delivery materials.
- Assemble medical/surgical supply kits.
- Complies with all University of Michigan and departmental standards and expectations.
- Supports the department’s commitment to continuous improvement activities and principles through positive and respectful contribution in all problem-solving and change processes at Home Care Services
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license with less than six points for moving or other violations
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Chauffeur's license is necessary.
Required Physical Qualifications:
The employee will be able to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
- Functional visual acuity and hearing for accurate assessment and recording of patient observations and other information in patient record documentation.
- Manual dexterity to perform required procedures and activities proficiently and safely.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds to perform the safe transfer of equipment and supplies
- A minimum of one year experience in home care activity with a demonstrated knowledge of regulations, standards, and guidelines applicable to home care pharmacies.
- Experience in the health care field and/or equivalent experience as a pharmacy technician or medical assistant
- Computer / keyboard data entry skills and experience
- Delivery experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Fork Lift Operation certification
Days only with rotating shift between 7am & 9pm, weekend shift rotation. Required participation in weekend, on-call and Holiday rotation.
This position is located at 2850 S. Industrial Hwy. St. 50 and requires travel to patient homes.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD INFORMATION:
All clinical and delivery staff carry out assignments in patient’s homes, health care institutions and HCS offices. Drives personal automobile to these various work site locations in all weather conditions on a regular basis.