- Partners with the department chair and the leadership team to establish a unifying vision and strategy for the department. Aligns the departmental strategy with Michigan Medicine, and implements objectives to meet clearly defined goals.
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day department operations including but not limited to financial performance, human resources, service agreements, space utilization, compliance, and procurement. Work with partners outside the department in order to meet departmental needs in the areas of communications, development (fundraising), and IT operations.
- Partners with the department chair in all areas of faculty affairs including appointments, privileging, and faculty satisfaction. Actively engages in the process for recruitment, retention, and assists in faculty issues that may arise requiring creative resolution. Incorporates DEI into all faculty strategies.
- Advances, strengthens and oversees departmental research programs. Partners with faculty to ensure all needs are met to support our research activities.
- Ensures the success of the educational process and environment for the department and supports educational initiatives across campus. Partners with the chair and department leadership in the success of the department through the support of all of our learners. Incorporates DEI into all educational strategies.
- Monitors performance of clinical services and negotiates affiliations to optimize department revenue in compliance with Michigan Medicine policies. Incorporates DEI into all patient related strategies.
- Engages with appropriate external audiences to represent Michigan Medicine and the department and stay apprised of trends impacting our business.
- Collaborates on Michigan Medicine priorities by providing individual input or serving on various committees as required.
- Participates in finance and operational committees involving multiple community practice sites.
- Collaborates to create a shared vision, effectively communicates the vision and inspires stakeholders to build consensus.
- Creates value for a diverse community by fostering a climate of service excellence.
- Leads innovation and change through the application of lean thinking philosophy, tools and techniques to increase operational efficiencies.
- Fosters and supports diverse teams and provides a work climate that is inclusive and elicits a high level of team engagement.
- Collaborates and builds inclusive relationships with appropriate stakeholders and models respect, recognition, helpfulness and collaboration.
- Coaches and develops others and provides professional development support. Develops talent with both the individual and organizational needs in mind.
- Develops a culture of accountability, provides the team with the strategic direction, prioritization and support in order to achieve results.
- Identifies problems and involves appropriate individuals to reach resolution.
- Leads in the alignment of Michigan Medicine culture by being organizationally astute and leveraging processes and relationships to succeed.
- Adapts oneself in a complex environment, adjusting as required and always engaging in self-reflection, continual learning and growth.
- Acts with courage and confidence to encourage creative thinking, seize opportunities, demonstrate personal conviction and convey an optimistic outlook.
- Communicates effectively to a multitude of audiences, using the appropriate medium/s of communication at the appropriate time in order to elicit feedback, share information and construct messaging that will have the maximum impact on others.
- MBA, MPH or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to present and gain acceptance of ideas and proposals.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, and professional and technical billing.
- Demonstrated strength in verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective leader in a complex and dynamic organization.
- Knowledge in areas of clinical operations and funds flow in the organization.
- Experience in managing research and grant activity and knowledge of clinical trials, pre- and post- award management.
- Experience in managing gift funds and other financial assets.
- Experience in developing and preparing contracts and proposals.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of a positive and inclusive environment.
The mission of the University of Michigan Medical School is to transform health through bold and innovative education, discovery and service. This mission is supported by a set of strategic pillars with our commitment to people, discovery, education, care and service.
The Department of Radiation Oncology at Michigan Medicine is seeking a Chief Department Administrator (CDA). The Department of Radiation Oncology and its directly managed clinics has over 70 faculty, 150 staff and 15 trainees who educate, provide clinical services and conduct research in numerous locations. The CDA will partner with the Department Chair to manage departmental operations and execute strategic initiatives of the department that are aligned with overall Michigan Medicine.
The CDA has additional accountability to the Medical School’s Executive Director for Administration and Chief Operating Officer, and to the University of Michigan Medical Group.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.