How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
*NOTE: This is a full-time, term-limited temporary position ending in five (5) months. Should the position become a regular (permanent) position, the individual filling the temporary role will have to option of applying for it.
Advanced Research Computing - Technology Services has an opportunity for someone seeking their first IT opportunity while also impacting the research mission of the University. ARC-TS provides Super Computer, Big Data and Research Storage systems for researchers to tackles the most demanding projects. This role will be front line assisting users getting the resources they need and assisting them with questions and support requests.
This position has the potential to become a regular (permanent) role.
- Respond to user email requests
- Run provided shell and python scripts on Linux computers
- Elevate advanced issues to appropriate staff
- Linux or Mac command line basics (cd, pwd, rm, etc)
- Clear communication skills via email, letters and in person to teams and customers.
- Courteous demeanor and attitude
- High School degree to equivalent experience
- Time management and reliability
- Advanced Linux command line skills
- Familiarity with ticket systems (footprints, RT, ServiceNOW)
- One of Python, Bash, Perl or other scripting language
- Prior High Performance Computing, Big Data, Cloud or other experience
- Training or documentation experience
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.\
The University of Michigan is No. 20 in annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.