MPulse Counselors are responsible for the orientation and supervision of MPulse students in the residence hall, as well as the planning and implementing of residence life enrichment activities for MPulse students. MPulse Counselors will be paid a stipend for their service, as well as be provided with room, board, and meals throughout their time. Five, seven, and eight-week opportunities are available for summer 2019. See our website for the full list of the 2019 MPulse Summer Performing Arts Institutes.
- Stipend ranging from $1200 to $2000
- Housing and meals provided
- Reside in Residence Hall for in-service training and throughout hired camp session
- Center Stage Strings Counselors: June 10—July 14, 2019
- MPulse Institute Counselors: June 24—August 4, 2019
- Must live in assigned on-campus dormitory housing (single occupancy)
- Be adaptable, reliable, and professional in fulfilling all duties
- Create a nurturing and supportive environment for MPulse students and fellow residence life staff while enforcing U-M and MPulse policies
- This position involves traveling to various locations on and off campus
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers while in Residence Hall, during transportation to and from activities, during activities, and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper objectives.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be a role model and ambassador for University of Michigan to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, sportsmanship and respect to differences.
- Cooperation with the entire MPulse team in working together for the welfare of the camper, campers and campus community
- Plan, and participate enthusiastically execute extracurricular evening and weekend activities related to music, theatre, dance, cultural enrichment, University of Michigan campus tours, recreation and professional development
- Responsible for leading and assisting with the teaching of activities, ice breakers, and time fillers.
- Pre and post camp Residence Hall supply set-up and clean-up, as well as daily maintenance of the Residence Hall
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Current U-M students, or U-M Alumni
- Current sophomore standing or higher at time of application
- Preference will be given to current School of Music, Theatre and Dance students and U-M students or alumni with performing arts backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.