How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Service Management –
The HITS Service Management division is responsible for ensuring that our products, services, and support focus on delivering great service for our customers – physicians, faculty, researchers, students, and staff. Across our groups, Service Management provides consulting, information design, user experience analysis, and custom development of software applications and websites in support of all portions of the mission. We also manage the tools and systems of work used by HITS staff for service operations, project, and demand management, and provide consulting and support for all ITIL based processes. We also guide the broader organization in marketing & communication, user advocacy, and measuring customer experience to help ensure that HITS continually improves in service to our customers.
Health Information Technology and Services (HITS) Software Development organization is seeking a User Experience Designer with an emphasis on Interaction and Visual Design. HITS Software Development creates custom software that meets the needs of the Michigan Medicine organization. We are seeking a self-motivated problem solver, who can help craft and improve customer experiences. As a UX Designer you will work with faculty, researchers, product managers, and software engineers to develop and improve the products and services that support our organization’s mission. The mission of our organization is to enhance the education of future doctors, assist researchers in collaborating on the future of medicine, and improve the patient experience. Join a group of passionate designers engaged in the creation of custom software that make a difference in the lives of our medical students, faculty, staff, and patients.
Design is at the center of everything we do. As a UX Designer in Software Development, you will envision how people experience our products and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired and refined. In this role, you will take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for users in Michigan Medicine. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with teams of Designers, Developers, and Product Managers throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them.
- Help to define the user model and user interface for new and existing software products and features
- Develop high level and/or detailed storyboards, mockups and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas to the development team
- Gauge the usability of new and existing products and making constructive suggestions for change
- Embrace sharing the role of Product Owner with a product manager and technical lead
- Think at a high-level about product strategy, project and product roadmaps
- Act capably as a project manager when needed
- Negotiate effectively with stakeholders to balance business and user needs
- Ground your design work in observation, research, and analytics and then validate through testing
- Actively seek out feedback and give it thoughtfully in order to continually raise the quality of the experience
- Enable delivery by communicating design decisions effectively to ensure alignment across the development team (provide storyboards/wireframes/mockups/graphics when appropriate)
- Ability to self-motivate, pay attention to detail and manage a deadline-driven workload
Requirements for Position:
- B.A., B.S. or Masters in HCI, Human Factors, Information Design, Web Design or related field
- Preference for candidate with internship experience in software
- Portfolio demonstrating sound product thinking through user flows, interaction design, and information architecture
- Strong, clean visual design sense
- Very good communication and teamwork skills
- Desire to work in a team-based collaborative environment
- Understanding of UX methods within an Agile development environment
- An understanding of how design decisions impact application development
- Knowledge of UI and usability best practices with regards to designing web-based applications (mobile a plus)
- Experience in design tools such as LucidChart, Moqups, Omnigraffle, Sketch
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.