How to Apply
A letter of interest is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The letter should summarize your pertinent experience and understanding of the role.
The ADTU Medical Director will have overall authority and responsibility for current and future ADTU sites of care (with the exceptions noted below). The Medical Director will provide medical supervision of all the Advanced Practice Providers (APP) who work in the ADTU’s and be capable of providing direct patient care when needed. This will involve both routine and sometimes critical medical care and will include supervision of APP’s who are staffing infusion units within the ADTU’s.
For all current and future ADTU sites, the Director will ensure high quality medical care in keeping with UMMG goals and objectives and the UMHS mission.
Current sites include the following:
- Taubman Center
- Brighton Center for Specialty Care
- Northville Health Center (in conjunction with the ACU Site Medical Director)
- West Ann Arbor
- Note: the ADTU in the Rogel Cancer Center is supervised by Oncology leadership
Oversight and leadership will require routine periodic visits to all sites and immediate response for medical care escalation from the APP’s during regular business hours. Supervision of APP’s who are responding to e visit patient requests is also expected and this can occur on Saturdays and Sundays at times.
The Director will bring leadership in advancing Michigan Medicine’s goals of providing the right care, at the right time and in the right setting – specifically helping to avoid unnecessary visits to emergency rooms for patients who would benefit from acute care in an alternative setting
- Organizational Relationships
- All ACUMDs are accountable to UMMG for the overall performance of their ACU
- The ADTU - MD Director will report directly to the Chief Clinical Officer of UMMG
- The Director will communicate and work with the Associate Chief Clinical Officers (ACCO) for Medical Specialties, Primary Care, leaders in the Hospitalist and Critical Care groups and appropriate Department Chairs as needed for all physician-related issues.
- The Director will work with the Nurse Manager for nursing issues and with leadership of the Physician Assistants as appropriate for PA’s.
- Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides medical supervision of all APP’s who staff the ADTU and provides direct patient care when needs are escalated – especially critical care or procedural supervision
- Facilitates and supports service excellence; patient satisfaction; continuity and coordination of care; quality improvement initiatives including:
o Participates in recruiting, hiring, training, mentoring and evaluating APP’s in conjunction with the Nurse Manager and leadership of Physician Assistants.
- Provide annual performance reviews for APP’s who staff the unit
o Assist in the development and implementation of clinical protocols
o Ensuring scope of practice of providers and staff, considering credentialing and privileging, legal and professional standards and demonstrated competencies and communicating with department(s) on any issues. Assure quality of care and appropriate billing.
- Perform ten clinical record reviews monthly for quality and documentation.
o Facilitating implementation of clinical programs
• Promotes the academic mission by ensuring that infrastructure is in place to support education and training initiatives for medical students, house officers, and other trainees.
o Facilitating clinical research and providing guidance to providers who wish to conduct and engage in research
• Provides vision and leadership to the ACU including:
o Actively engaging with UMMG leadership and appropriate committees to advance care in the ADTU
o Being available by phone or pager during all hours of operation for problems that might arise at the ACU and provide on-sight supervision if needed.
- Can identify appropriate back up medical coverage structure as needed
o Attending appropriate meetings with UMMG administration and regular meetings with ACU administrative team
- Program Management (Clinical, Operational, Financial)
- Approve and serve as first level of conflict resolution for issues related to ADTU function and facilities
- Approve care model requirements for each unit, including roles, responsibilities, and exceptions
- Oversee identification of potential revisions to the staffing model based on analysis of visit and productivity data from ACU Group Leadership and ACU Clinic Leadership
- Develop strategies to improve transition of care between inpatient, outpatient, and home care
- Provide oversight for regulatory compliance with CMS, JC, and CLIA, as applicable, operations of supporting functions (including identification of areas for improvement).
- Support establishment of priorities, areas of focus, and measurable targets for performance improvement for support services
- Support identification of improvements for ambulatory facilities, including construction or renovation of structures and purchase of major equipment
- Monitor clinical, operational and financial performance measures and metrics at the interdisciplinary or multi-specialty program level and disseminate information to stakeholders
- Manages all requests for UMMG core support platforms coming from ACCC’s or other leadership within their interdisciplinary or multi-specialty program
- Present on programmatic performance metrics to UMMG leadership and Department/Divisions
- Oversee, support, and lead identification, design, and implementation of emerging care models, technology and technological solutions
- Partner with UMMG Chief Quality Officer to achieve common quality and operational objectives
- Active Medical Staff Member
- Board Certified
- Capable of managing patients with critical care needs – most likely trained in internal medicine, hospitalist medicine or critical care medical specialties
- Progressively responsible experience in the management of patients with urgent health care needs or infusion therapy and who has experience with health care delivery models similar to the ADTU
- History of successful execution of initiatives
- Experience managing APP’s is preferred
- History of excellent medical care and leadership potential as demonstrated by the ability to work effectively with nursing partners, individuals, and/or teams, across disciplines
- Credible, assertive, self-motivated physician with demonstrated clinical excellence and patient relationships
- Ability to convey a vision of an integrated care delivery model and embrace organizational change
- Comfortable leading people through a change process in a matrixed environment
- Skilled at data management and analytics
- Knowledge of management principles, practices, and methods
To be determined, as soon as feasible based on re-allocation of candidate’s current effort
- Performance Evaluation
To be determined, based on identification of the Chief Clinical Officer’s assessment metrics.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.