Under the direct supervision of a Registered Dietitian (RD), this position is responsible for coordination of home nutritional therapy regimens. Specifically, individuals in this position will initiate and/or participate in the following activities: initial patient interviews, reconciliation of the home nutrition order using prescriber, RD, and payer information, generation of patient education and training materials, establishing appointments for education and training of the patient/caregiver, computer order entry of home nutrition orders, scheduling of patient follow up monitoring, and contributions to the home nutrition care plan. These activities will encompass patient populations across the age spectrum in the home and discharge transition settings. Additionally, individuals in this position will triage home nutrition therapy problems for RD review and evaluation.
- Assist in the discharge of individual patients to home care by collecting and organizing all patient specific information needed for RD review and evaluation.
- Build the information base needed to effectively and accurately assist in the processing of any referral for a home care nutrition patient.
- Create or update home care patients' formula/enteral prescription profiles adhering to the organization's policies and procedures.
- Determine the supplies and shipping quantities to be sent based upon the ordered nutrition regimen, feeding access, length of therapy, patient convenience, and delivery schedule.
- Complete computer data and order entry for home nutrition patients using the established software.
- Consult with HomeMed Registered Dietitians to reconcile information regarding patient orders to insure that the most accurate and current order is validated for the patient.
- Collect and organize information for home care patients' nutrition plan of care.
- Communicate elements of the home care plan to the prescriber, patient, patient's caregivers, and other health professionals involved in the patient's care in a systematic, logical way under the direction of the RD.
- Assist in implementing the nutrition care plan for a home care patient according to established policies and procedures and schedule RD monitoring functions according to the care plan established for the patient.
- Prepare education and training materials for patients/caregivers under the direction of the HomeMed RD; coordinate and schedule education and training appointments between the HomeMed RD and the patient/caregiver prior to discharge.
- Ensure continuity of care to and from the home and other patient-care settings using a systematic procedure to communicate pertinent patient information to and from the home and other patient care settings.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date order records and other documentation as specified by UMHHC Home Care policy and procedure and as directed by the HomeMed RD.
- Participate in the established process for documenting patient interactions in the home care record.
- Assist in the resolution of problems and complaints presented by patients, clinicians, and physicians.
- Communicate concise, applicable, and timely responses to requests for nutrition information from health care providers and home care patients.
- Participate in internal and external educational programs as an attendee and provide feedback to improve cost effectiveness, work efficiencies and quality of patient care.
- Tracks and obtains all clinical documentation to fulfill prior authorization requirements for a variety of payers ( insurance).
- Interacts with prescribers to facilitate complete and signed orders.
Other Related Duties:
- Complies with all University of Michigan and departmental standards and expectations.
- Supports the department’s commitment to continuous improvement activities and principles through positive and respectful contribution in all problem-solving and change processes at Home Care Services.
- Participates in department committees and work teams as assigned.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development and maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice skills through attendance and participation in continuing education and in-service classes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The employee will be able to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
- An Associate's degree in Dietetics or Foods and Nutrition or an equivalent combination of education and 2 years of experience in a food/nutrition related field
- Experience with and/or knowledge of enteral access devices and formula administration
- Demonstrated flexibility
- Excellent communication (written, verbal) and customer service skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Knowledge of nutrition terminology and calculations for calories / volume. Ability to convert patient data into metric units.
- Computer experience with demonstrated proficiency operating in an electronic environment
- Pediatric and adult experience.
- Home care or ambulatory care experience.
Days: Variable Hours between 8 am and 6 pm with inclusion in the weekend and on call rotations.
This position is located primarily at HomeMed (2850 S. Industrial ) but will involve intermittent travel to the University Hospital.
OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD INFORMATION:
All clinical and delivery staff carry out assignments in patient’s homes, health care institutions and HCS offices. Drives personal automobile to these various work site locations in all weather conditions on a regular basis.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work and/or difficulty that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibility of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
The following signature indicates receipt and understanding of the above job description. A signed copy of this description is kept in the employee file.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.