- Provide exceptional patient service
- Stock and maintain exam and treatment rooms
- Perform ancillary testing
- Instrument pre-cleaning and stocking
- Calibrate, clean and maintain equipment
- Clerical duties
- Triage patient calls
- Obtain patient history
- Instill dilation drops when appropriate
- Schedule appointments
- Input of patient information
- Scribe for physician
- Communicate delays to patients
- Perform visual fields and other minor patient testing
- Other duties as directed by supervisor.
Surgery Scheduling Responsibilities:
- Work closely with clinical team and clinic coordinator on adherence to surgery scheduling procedures.
- Coordinates with other department schedulers to optimize use of service block time at operating rooms across the health system.
- Maintain responsibility for MiChart grids.
- Manage phone calls from internal and external customers related to surgery.
- Schedule patients for surgery and associated appointments, document surgery details, and communicate with interdisciplinary team.
- Serve as a representative of the surgery scheduler team/role on various committees or workgroups as needed for standard of care and process improvement.
- Develop, along with lead or supervisor and scheduler colleagues, standard of work.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and 0 – 1 years of experience.
- Respectful and compassionate attitude
- Collaborative and collegial, demonstrates integrity
- Keyboarding skills
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Formal MA program
- Associates Degree in Health area
- Experience in field of ophthalmology.
- Experience with Michigan Medicine's electronic medical record systems.
- Certification as a medical assistant
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
The Kellogg Eye Center of the Unversity of Michigan is dedicated to enhancing quality of life by preserving and restoring vision. Our guilding principles are teamwork, caring, innovation and integrity.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.