How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Support Services division of Information and Technology Services (ITS) has a fast-paced and exciting position available for a PC Maintenance Tech Intermediate responsible for support, service and logistics of computers and printers across the University of Michigan campus.
This position reports to the Tech Repair Supervisor. ITS Tech Repair provides support and service for the computers, printers and related electronic equipment for the University of Michigan and privately-owned equipment of student, faculty and staff.
This role requires someone with who can work with minimal supervision, provide excellent customer service, proactively anticipate and resolve problems, is able to follow procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has a strong teamwork ethic.
As a PC Maintenance Tech Intermediate for ITS Support Services at the University of Michigan, the key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Diagnose and repair general and complex computing and printing equipment issues, including troubleshooting and resolving software and hardware problems from various vendors including, but not limited to: HP, Apple, Dell, Microsoft and Xerox, both on-site and in a workshop. Load and configure operating systems. Track repairs and update customers with repair status. Upgrade and maintain computer labs across campus.
- As a vendor certified Service Provider, responsible for reviewing and authorizing repairs and maintenance performed by temporary workers and student employees. Guide and train temporary and student staff in repair and business processes and procedures using effective communication skills. Serve as a resource in the resolution of complex problems and issues.
- Move, install, configure and upgrade printers and computers as part of the lifecycle of the equipment including upgrades, replacements and disposal of end-of-life equipment.
- Provide accurate and timely updates of computing equipment information (i.e. inventory and network configuration) into critical databases. Develop, update and document procedures and processes.
- Configure network switches (e.g. Juniper and Cisco) in computer labs and printer locations across campus. Troubleshoot and resolve networking issues.
- Transport computing and printing equipment to various campus locations using service vehicles.
- Order computing equipment parts to perform repairs from appropriate vendors and maintain appropriate spare parts inventories to provide quicker service.
- Work on assigned projects and collaborate with various teams to provide end-to-end support in computer labs and printing locations.
- Contribute, participate and share information and ideas within the team.
- Support and review the processes and procedures used in daily repair work. Identifiy when established procedures are not working well and when gaps in processes exist. Look for opportunities to automate and create efficiencies in production support and make recommendations for improvements.
- Research and evaluate new support and repair techniques and share this knowledge within the team.
- Identify areas of service improvement and potential future enhancements based on customer requests and feedback. Develop and update documentation of existing and new processes to help with training of new staff.
- Stay current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services which can be accomplished through on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
- Participate in learning activities related to securing and retaining industry-recognized certifications that include, but are not limited to, certifications on Apple, Dell, HP and Xerox computers and printers.
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Creative Problem Solving: Demonstrates the ability to provide the necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans.
- Building Relationships / Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of workgroup, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Maintains agreed-upon levels of confidentiality. Demonstrates the ability to use formal and informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, develops and maintains smooth, cooperative working relationships.
- Communication: Demonstrates the ability to communicate correctly and knowledgeably with individuals via email, letters and in person within differing audiences. The ability to speak concisely, use technical terms knowledgeably and use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation in writing.
- Quality Service: Demonstrates the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service. Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective, assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly.
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field or the equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience troubleshooting, repairing, maintaining and supporting computers and printers (ie, Apple, Dell, HP, Xerox)
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting and resolving operating system and application problems
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting and resolving networking problems
- Experience in a customer service and/or help desk environment
- Authorized repair certifications from Apple, HP, Dell, Xerox, Cisco and/or Juniper
- Demonstrated experience with parts ordering, tracking and inventory control systems, including Apple, HP, Dell and Xerox systems
- Experience repairing Apple iPhones and iPads
- Inventory management experience
- Experience operating large vehicles such as box trucks/vans
As part of the condition of employment, our selected candidate must become factory certified to repair the computers and printers supported by U-M Tech Repair. Training and testing will be provided by U-M Tech Repair.
Work Schedule and Locations
- May require a flexible work schedule and working during non-business hours based on business needs.
- Will require travel to various locations on and off university campus with repetitive moving of equipment weighing up to 60 pounds by self or weighing up to 120 pounds with the assistance from others.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is No. 20 in annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.