The YAP Office Manager is a temporary seasonal position that serves as the public face for the Youth & Adult Programs of the University of Michigan, School of Music, Theatre & Dance. This position oversees the day-to-day office operations of the Youth & Adult (YAP) Summer Programs mostly focused on the MPulse Summer Performing Arts Institutes, but will occasionally be working with the Adult Summer Initiatives, Michigan Youth Ensembles, Voices Valiant and String Preparatory Academy. The Office Manager will directly report to the YAP Program Manager, and will coordinate with the MPulse Camp Director on a daily basis to ensure a seamless handling of the day-to-day operations of the MPulse Summer Performing Arts Institutes.
Reports to: Youth and Adult Program Manager
- Provide email and phone support to YAP applicants and participants
- Greet and encourage participants and faculty; presenting a warm, professional environment
- Coordinate MPulse room requests
- Facilitate MPulse and Adult Summer Initiatives facility & piano key requests and returns
- Create MPulse and Adult Summer Initiatives performance and recital programs
- Prepare MPulse and Adult Summer Initiatives welcome packets for participants and faculty
- Coordinate any MPulse participant University Health Service visits
- Create and coordinate the weekly transportation schedule for MPulse participants
- Assiste with additional support assignments for the Youth & Adult Programs
- Must be available 30-40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, May-August.
- 2+ years experience in an office setting with proven customer service experiences.
- Current CPR/AED & first aid certifications (offered at staff training).
- Candidates must have the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management as well as with prospective students and families. Strong written and oral communication skills are essential, including the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, and the ability to maintain confidentiality in matters of a sensitive or confidential nature. Must have the ability to think clearly and speak effectively in difficult situations.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a positive service-oriented attitude, initiative, independent judgment, and follow-through to plan, organize and manage a diverse workload with excellent attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines is essential.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment is necessary.
- Technology Skills: Excellent command of the use of technology in the workplace is essential. Experience in a Macintosh environment, with a working knowledge of common office application suites (Office, iWork, Google Docs) is required.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Professional, collegiate training in the performing arts (music, theatre, dance) is preferred.
- A Bachelor degree along with basic familiarity of the performing arts field is desired.
- Cross cultural oral and written communication skills, and some experience working with students from international countries is desirable. Speaking ability in a second language is a plus.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures is a plus along with an understanding and appreciation of higher education and the diverse cultures of the schools and colleges within the University is a plus.
- Experience with FileMaker Pro or other database architectures beyond simple data entry is strongly preferred.
As a comprehensive performing arts school set in one of the world’s finest public institutions of higher education, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is deeply engaged in the creation, practice, scholarship, and pedagogy of music, theatre, and dance. We aim to provide leadership, nationally and internationally, in all three fields. We assert and celebrate the value of the arts to the mission of the University of Michigan. SMTD is committed to sharing values of diversity and inclusion in order to achieve and sustain excellence.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.