How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) has an immediate opening for an experienced Campus Network Support Associate to assist in supporting the University's enterprise campus networks. The individual will be part of a cohesive team that is responsible for administering over 8,000 routers, switches and wireless access points. The main focus for this position will be production support of the campus building networks and working with the support teams within the campus buildings. The team is always looking for ways to be ready for the challenges of tomorrow in supporting the campus enterprise networks. To learn more about ITS, visit our website: www.its.umich.edu/
- Provides tier 3 technical support and service restoration for campus enterprise IP networks. Assists in analyzing, planning and implementing maintenance, including backup and recovery strategies, software patches and upgrades. Supports and collaborates with team members and other technical staff such as Project Managers and Network Engineers. Using established protocols, monitors networks for availability, error conditions, adequate space allocation, backup integrity and performance. Assists with multiple projects including installations, upgrades, moves, adds and changes.
- Assists in developing strategies to effectively perform root-cause analysis of problems, poor performance and error conditions. Develops effective relationships with vendor support to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
- Assist team to proactively propose, plan, implement and communicate effective changes within established change management processes. Contribute to system enhancements by identifying and quantifying customer requirements, delineating the gaps between customer requirements and the capabilities of existing technology and recommending improvements in current processes.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of: resolving incidents; and, troubleshooting enterprise network systems issues, resulting in accurate, timely and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by: meeting customer needs; meeting or exceeding established performance metrics.
- Proactively seeks information and utilizes analytical and creative problem solving skills along with standard processes and technologies resulting in secure and reliable connections to and use of systems, applications and infrastructure.
- Demonstrates relationship building, effective communication skills and quality service in the process of collaborating with, supporting, advising and educating customers and team members on network systems, handling of network issues and resolving incidents, resulting in efficient, effective and reliable services.
- Assists with asset management responsibilities which include data entry and configuration updates for contracts, service agreements and monitoring.
- Stays current with relevant advances in network systems technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures which can include on-the-job training, attending relevant courses or conferences, reading, research and testing. Develops and follows best practices and procedures and share knowledge with team members and mentors staff.
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Demonstrates the ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level and some complex problems. Handles several problems at one time.
- Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers.
- Demonstrates the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly.
- Ability to assist in the implementation of changes within established and changing deadlines.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- One (1) year of experience with troubleshooting IP networks
- One (1) year of experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently to successfully monitor, perform network or desktop configuration changes, required documentation and testing/analysis of network or desktop equipment/software
- Demonstrated ability to utilize analytical and communication skills in the development and modification of written procedures, processes and technical support knowledge base, resulting in content tailored to the level and type of audience for support and issue resolution
- Ability to leverage appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation, performance monitoring and incident management) for network systems
- Experience with some or all of the following technologies: controller based WiFi, Cisco IOS, Juniper OS, network monitoring tools, desktop OS (Windows, Mac) and copper/fiber infrastructure
- Demonstrated experience with current computer technology and applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, and collaboration applications)
- After hire, have a personal mobile communication device and home internet connection
- CCNA and/or JNCIA certification
- Experience with desktop and/or network firewalls, VPN
- Basic understanding of how DNS/DHCP, Firewalls and IPS systems work
- Experience troubleshooting fiber and copper network infrastructure
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX and basic file editing
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
- Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
- This position involves traveling to various locations on and off university campus to deliver telecommunication equipment and supplies weighing up to 30 lbs from trucks/loading docks to campus locations for installation or testing.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
The University of Michigan is No. 20 in the annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.