How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position will be filled at the Senior salary range of $68,462 - $89,000 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Senior level expectation. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Intermediate level salary range of $56,538 - $73,500.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is seeking a candidate to fill an Application Developer Senior role. Our selected candidate will report to the Manager of Application Development in ITS Enterprise Application Services. The primary focus of this position is to provide design and development of web applications, web services and web service standards for the campus and research communities. Work assignments include working in multiple content areas (business domains) on multiple systems which run on multiple platforms with multiple technologies while collaborating with team members and other technical staff to develop, design, implement and continuously improve services and deliverables to meet business needs.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: www.its.umich.edu/
As an Application Developer Senior for ITS, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborates with/and gathers technical requirements with cross-functional teams to review/develop software and infrastructure required to meet the goals and outputs of the research initiatives
- Provides design, development, integration and implementation of single, multithreaded and distributed applications that leverage data across multiple sources and applications in order to meet the research and innovation needs of the researcher or university; develops application designs, along with other team members, researchers and other IT staff, as needed
- Develops, tests and validates software solutions for unified communication infra-structure communication systems to support the collaborative real time communication needs of students, faculty and staff; delineates any gaps between requirements and the capabilities of existing technologies and resources and recommends proactive improvements and designs that are compliant with technical requirements
- Follows or establishes standards, methodology and development tools
- Develops new and revises existing coding standards and documents for new technology
- Manages the execution of the resources to the project
- Develops implementation plans and timelines of projects, provides status reports, exchanges relevant information with management and project teams and meets timelines; it is expected that projects across these teams will require rapid prototyping and development; agile management will be leveraged as the primary mode of this group
- Provides accurate time estimates for tasks, identifies impacted teams and notifies management of potential risks and issues
- Provides support for developed applications until successfully transitioned
- Actively coordinates with team members and service support groups to effectively resolve incidents, requests, fixes and minor enhancements
- Monitors applications and other systems for availability, error conditions, performance and otherwise ensures services are fully operational
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Building Relationship / Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrates an ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, ethical, honest and accepting manner; maintains agreed-upon levels of confidentiality
- Demonstrates an ability to use formal and informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, developing and maintaining smooth, cooperative working relationships
- Initiates communication and responds to others in a timely, sensitive manner
Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking
- Demonstrates an ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems
- Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably and effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
- Uses appropriate methods of communication (face-to-face, etc.) to achieve desired results
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying style to fit the audience and actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding
- Demonstrates an unwavering focus on aligning all activities to produce maximum value for the customer
- Demonstrates a focus on fulfilling expectations by seeking insight into customer needs and developing solutions that provide value for the customer
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or the equivalent combination of education, certification and experience
- A minimum of four (4) years of demonstrated experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently to successfully design, develop, deliver and support high complex applications and solutions
- Demonstrated strong application development experience with various computer languages such as Perl, Shell Script, C#, Python, C++, PHP, HTML, Java/J2EE, XML etc., Ruby, Swift
- Demonstrated experience in developing complex and distributed data structure and databases
- Proven ability to lead project teams to meet customer expectations
- Experience working successfully in a highly agile software development environment
- Demonstrated experience working on and/or developing large scale distributed software applications
- Experience with user interface design and knowledge of usability best practices
- Experience developing web services and other types of integrations and resolving integration issues involving multiple technologies and business areas
- Knowledge of best practices and infrastructure for web services
- Experience in modern quality assurance methods and tools such as a co-development, automation and continuous integration testing
- Demonstrated successful performance with coordinating and completing multiple tasks and projects within and across departments to meet changing deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to learn new platforms and languages quickly to adapt to different projects demands
- Strong understanding and experience with process management, change and configuration management, release management and software development lifecycle including agile or iterative
- Hands on experience and proficiency with various computer languages such as Perl, Shell Script, C#, Python, C++, PHP, HTML, Java/J2EE, XML etc., Ruby, Swift
- Experience in developing and/or leading software development in distributed platform development
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is No. 20 in the annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.