To functionally case manage Phase II cardiac rehab; to conduct non-invasive diagnostic tests at all off-site locations; to conduct external counter pulsation treatments and to prescribe exercise programs for patients in Cardiovascular Medicine.
- Develop and conduct the fitness testing services available, including EKG treadmill tests, oxygen uptakes, body composition analysis, and muscle strength, flexibility and endurance assessments.
- Prepare patients and perform resting EKGs, holter monitors, and other cardiovascular diagnostic and monitoring procedures.
- Prescribe specific programs of exercise to patients and counsel them on how to achieve their fitness goals.
- Assist in the development and implementation of special exercise programs for individuals with health problems. Responsible for evaluating the programs’ physiological safety and effectiveness and for teaching classes (e.g. cardiac rehab, arthritis exercise, etc.)
- Assist in the organization and implementation of wellness screenings offered to area businesses and organizations.
- Serve as a consultant and speaker on the importance of and effects of exercise and other health promotion topics.
- Assist in the establishment of data collection and evaluation procedures for fitness-related programs.
- Contribute to the advancement and promotion of services through participation in professional associations, writing articles for publications and representing the Medical Center in community activities.
- Monitor patients’ vital signs and be prepared to perform CPR or other necessary emergency first aid procedures, while seeking appropriate medical assistance.
- May supervise work of other physiologists, including hiring, evaluating performance and discipline.
- May train staff and students in new or revised work methods and procedures.
- May require night and weekend hours.
- May prepare routine and special reports and sections of annual budget.
- May assist in the establishment of unit rules and regulations
- Bachelor’s in exercise physiology, exercise science or a related field is required.
- Master’s degree in exercise physiology, exercise science or a related field is desirable.
- Six months Cardiology experience preferred.
- One year experience in both stress testing and cardiac rehabilitation preferred.
- Health education and wellness program experience preferred.
- Certification by the American College of Sports Medicine Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist is required.
- Certification in BCLS upon hire.
- ACLS is required within one year of date of hire.
- Experience in clinical testing, exercise prescription and evaluation is necessary.
- This classification requires Primary Source Verification.
Note: This position may be placed at a lower level for those who do not hold current certification.
- This position requires extensive standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring of patients.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.