How to Apply
A resume is required in order to be considered.
- Perform ongoing verbal communication between coworkers and at shift crossover.
- Complete daily prep list as assigned by the Chef Assistant, including but not limited to plating entree salads, slicing meats and cheeses, preparing batch dressings and marinades, and weighing recipes.
- Combine ingredients to prepare entree salad plates and deli sandwiches to order, according to standardized recipe and upon patient meal ticket orders.
- Operate foodservice equipment to include: scales, slicers, robot coupe, commercial blender, knives, and buffalo chopper.
- Maintain clean and sanitized work area, including equipment, counters, deli case and utensils.
- Take food temperatures as assigned and complete temperature logs every 4 hours or as needed.
- Continuously monitor food quality of basic ingredients as well as plated food.
- Label and date food items according to departmental and regulatory guidelines.
- Be flexible with work schedules, job tasks, and job changes. This includes but is not limited to working holidays and picking up additional duties when a coworker is absent.
- Ability to successfully pass the ServSafe Certification for Food Safety within 90 days of employment
- Possess excellent communication skills with ability to: Read English with comprehension, listen effectively, speak and write clearly, and accurately follow written instructions
- Demonstrated ability to perform physical job tasks safely, including ability to lift up to 50 pounds, bend, reach, stand up to 8 hours, and push and pull up to 35 pounds
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize work in a face paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to perform excellent customer service
- Experience following standardized recipes and portioning procedures, and understands the importance of these procedures
- Experience maintaining food at proper temperatures, including taking food temperatures, recording food temperatures, and storing food appropriately
- Experience utilizing resources responsibly, and recognizing and minimizing food waste
- Experience rotating stock using the First In First Out method. This includes identifying and discarding all expired products
- Demonstrate proper standard operating procedures for meat slicers, scales, can openers, buffalo chopper, robot coupe, and knives within 30 days of employment
- Possess excellent attendance record
This position is scheduled to work Monday-Friday; 11:30 am - 8:00 pm; Off days Saturday and Sunday; must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.