How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are looking for someone who wants to be a part of the Back and Pain Center team as a Medical Assistant and provide Research participant support. Work in a great environment managing patient flow in a fast paced, outpatient setting while providing excellent customer service. This is a full-time position; Monday through Friday with the occasional overtime as necessary.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure efficient patient flow in examination/consultation rooms and procedures
- Provide clinical assistance by taking and recording vital signs; enter or update medications, allergies, health history and other key elements related patient care in accurate and professional manner
- In coordination with the Pain Research team, using the structure training provided, orient Research participants to the Resilience Skills Self-Management for Chronic Pain interactive web-site
- Initiate weekly follow-up phone calls to the participants using the Resilience Skills Self-Management for Chronic Pain web-site to ensure participation. Provide support regarding web-site related questions
- In partnership with the Pain Research team, update Research participant folder for clinical data collection according to specified Research protocol
- Perform other Research related tasks as assigned by the Principal Investigator or the Project Coordinator in line with the project goals
- Assist with procedures performed in the exam rooms
- Perform EKGs
- Prepare procedural instruments for sterilization
- Run reports in Michigan Automated Prescription System
- Maintain, order and stock supplies for exam rooms
- Ensure appropriate infection control protocol is followed in our clinical area
- Properly manage equipment to ensure it is well-maintained and ready-for-use
- Perform Urine Drug Screen testing along with any requested point of care testing also enter results in MiChart
- Actively be involved in improving day-to-day operational processes and workflows
- Perform other duties as assigned
High school diploma or GED
Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program which provides an organized clinical externship.
In addition, candidate must have experience providing/performing:
- Some experience as a Medical Assistant or working in an office setting
- Exceptional Customer service
- General office/computer work
- Successful outcomes working in a high volume, fast paced clinic setting both independently, and as part of a team
- Ability to accurately receive and relay information over the telephone and written documentation
- Excellent attendance record
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patiens
- Friendly and upbeat demeanor
- Reasonable knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in patient care activities
- Demonstrated effective time management skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Experience in clinic, medical office or other ambulatory care setting
- Fluency with computer programs, telephone etiquette and other office procedures
- Experience with MiChart/Epic systems
This is a full time position 40 hrs./week; Monday through Friday, 8 hr. shifts are scheduled between 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (shift hours could potentially change based on the operational needs and required meetings).
The Success Patterns for this position are:
• Excellent customer service skills
• Willingness and ability to learn quickly
• Knowledge of and/or ability to learn to work as part of a team-oriented environment
• Knowledge of and/or ability to solve problems
• Strong attention to detail & accuracy
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics:
• High enthusiasm and energy
• Willing to go the extra mile in all aspects of the job
• Respect for people, and hard work
• Willingness to challenge, and better yourself
• Flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
• Fun personality
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.