How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Anesthesiology department has an exciting opportunity for an Anesthesiology Technician to assist the Anesthesiologist with administration and monitoring of anesthesia in a variety of settings. The technician provides support for surgical/procedural cases by assisting in the preparation and maintenance of patient equipment and anesthesia delivery system before, during, and after anesthesia care. To learn more about our department, please visit our website at http://anes.med.umich.edu/index.html.
- Set-up and operate anesthesia equipment which includes but is not limited to, fluid warmers, warm-air blankets, rapid infuser devices and cell savers.
- Set-up supplies for and assists in the placement of arterial lines, central lines, and epidural catheters.
- Set-up supplies and equipment for and assist in the placement of airway devices utilizing fiber optic technology.
- Set-up and assist with the placement of Transesophageal Echo Monitoring.
- Set-up the supplies and devices necessary for Cardiac and Vascular cases and assist with their placement.
- At the request of the anesthesia staff, assist with the anesthetic induction of patients (to all patients regardless of age).
- Obtain blood samples and perform laboratory tests on these samples. Perform QC checks on assigned testing devices.
- Assist anesthesia staff in the transportation of critically ill patients to and from the operating room and other anesthetizing locations.
- Continually check during the shift with anesthesia personnel in rooms assigned to determine if any assistance is required.
- Respond quickly to pages and provide the services requested.
- Keep assigned workroom area neat and orderly.
- Put away supplies as they arrive in the workroom.
- Stock anesthesia carts throughout the shift.
- Attend in-service education offerings on new equipment and devices.
- Provide instruction and advice to anesthesia personnel regarding new equipment and devices.
- Share call duties on a rotating basis in order to provide services on off-hours during the week and on weekends.
- Troubleshoot anesthesia equipment by performing a series of diagnostic tests to determine problems and restore service.
- Assist in the evaluation of new equipment. Disassemble anesthesia machines, clean parts and retrieve usable supplies.
- Transport anesthesia equipment and supply carts to off-site anesthetizing locations in order to facilitate the conduct and anesthetic in these locations.
- Provide monitoring devices, oxygen tank, and any other necessary equipment for critically ill patient transportation.
- Changeover the necessary equipment and medical supplies between cases and assure that the level of supplies in the anesthesia cart is adequate for the next case.
- At the beginning of each shift survey the rooms assigned to determine that the necessary equipment is present and in working order, that the medical supply levels are adequate, and that patient suction is present and working.
- Make periodic sweeps of areas in the hospital that may have anesthesia equipment and return equipment to its proper location.
- Graduation from high school
- Experience in a healthcare environment
- Effective communications skills
- Adept at conflict resolution
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Basic life support (BLC) Care Provider card or obtain in 6 months of hire
- Bachelors degree is desirable
- 1 year or more experience as an Anesthesia Technician
Full time 40 Day/Evening/Midnight rotating, weekends, on-call shift obligations.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.