Assess and evaluate the overall clinical picture and needs of cardiac surgery with specific focus on LVAD, transplant, and Mitral patient population. Work in an integrated fashion with physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, VAD coordinators, physical therapists, nutritionists, discharge coordinators, and other consulting services to provide high quality patient care for inpatients and outpatients. Provide education and orientation for preoperative patients seen in clinic and as inpatients. Provide professional nursing support to Cardiac Surgery Advanced Faculty including, first contact for triaging inpatient consults, facilitate hospital to hospital transfers, complete patient insurance forms, and coordinate preoperative diagnostic studies. Provide inpatient clinical support to the Advanced Practice Team by participating in clinical rounds, assessing patients, adjusting care orders and other activities as directed under protocol. Documents care and patient progress through detailed patient records. Provide discharge education to patients and families. Emphasis on providing innovative clinical leadership, support, and mentoring to facilitate the development of the Advanced Practice Team and other support services. Participates in data collection for the Adult Cardiac Surgery database and other QA,/QI endeavors related to Cardiac Surgery. Note: This is a day position, no weekends.
This posting replaces #166471
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined. If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted under the Role-Specific Advancement Model (RSAM) as:
Actual RSAM LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.
RSAM levels range from CCC-COMPETENT to CCC-EXPERT TO CCC-MASTERY.
Nursing Specific Info
Nursing at Michigan offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits!
Salary range for Registered Nurses- $63,918.40- $101,108.80
- Evening Shift Differential- $2.35 per hour
- Night Shift Differential- $3.20 per hour
- Weekend Differential- $1.75 per hour
The benefit package includes:
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings and immediate vesting
- Generous Paid Time Off Allowances
- Robust Tuition and Certification support programs
- Large offering of no cost CEs and professional development for advancement
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan
Required Educational Requirement; applicant must meet one of the following: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN) OR an Associates Degree or Diploma in Nursing and a Master’s Degree in Nursing
- Minimum of three (3) years of recent (within the last five (5) years) of RN experience in Cardiac Surgery or Cardiology
- Two (2) years of recent (within the last five (5) years) of ambulatory care RN expeirence. This ACS experience must include telephone triage.
- Clinical Leadership experience such as a Charge Nurse, Preceptor, or Clinical Instructor
- Participation in unit committees or quality projects that demonstrate the ability to work in collaboration with, and positively contribute, to a team approach to patient care
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
• Must be detail oriented and be able to manage rapidly changing clinical situations.
• Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospital Nursing policies and practice.
• Must demonstrate expert communication, organization and prioritization skills.
• Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated ability to function independently and as a team member.
• Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
• Demonstrated accountability/dependability as evidenced, for example, by a stellar attendance record; by completion of mandatories and unit based competencies within an established time frame; by meeting deadlines and completing required work.
• Experience with EPIC, Word and Excel.
• ACLS certification
• BLS certification
Hours: 40 hrs/week
Shift: Day Shift, Monday-Friday, Variable hours
Location: Cardiovascular Center- CVC Clinic
We, the staff and faculty of the U-M Cardiovascular Center (CVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence. Each CVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The CVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Cardiovascular Centers philosophy and culture:
The University of Michigan Health is a Magnet recognized hospital. We have recently been named #1 hospital in Michigan and #5 hospital in the nation by US News and World Report for 2018-19!
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.