This job opening is for a Temporary Float CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST position within the Central Staffing Resource Department (CSR) and services UH OR
Wage: $30.00/hr. base rate
Evening Shift Differential is $5.00 per hour
Night Shift Differential is $ 3.00 per hour
Weekend Day $3.00, Weekend Afternoon $5.00, Weekend Night Differential is $5.00 per hour
Services housed in UHOR include: Neurosurgery, ENT, Plastics, OMFS, General Surgery, Transplant, Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Urology, Gynecology, Trauma Burn, MIS and Bariatrics
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and inteCertified Surgical Technologistationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Secure and prepare sterile and/or necessary equipment for surgical procedures.
- Pass instruments, sponges, sutures and like equipment to surgeon and their surgical assistants during surgery.
- Assists the circulating nurse in preparation of the patient for surgery.
- Under the direction and/or supervision of the circulating nurse, assist in the positioning of the patient for surgery.
- Adjust the lights and other equipment as directed during surgery.
- After completion of surgery, assist in moving the patient, onto a stretcher or bed, for transfer to the post-operative care destination.
- Assist in the delivery of soiled equipment to its proper destination for processing.
- Ensure proper handling, cleaning and storage of surgical equipment and instrumentation.
- Maintain and appropriately care for surgical instrumentation both on and off the sterile field.
- Assist with the instruction of orientees.
- Stock and maintain of instruments and supplies in the operating room and sterile cores.
- Adhere to Operating Room Department policies and procedures.
- Participate in unit / service in-services.
- Maintain competence in all surgical services.
- Current certification from The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) is required.
- Two (2) or more years recent CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST experience.
- Current AHA BLS Provider certification
- Ability to scrub multiple services.
- Proficient in the use of advanced surgical equipment/ techniques.
- Motivated, self-directed and organized. Excellent interpersonal/team and demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
RESUME REQUIRED with application
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
- Demonstrated flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with an interdisciplinary health care team.
- Demonstrated positive verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated positive attitude
- Demonstrated team player skills
- Demonstrated accountability and dependability.
- Demonstrates expertise in communication and problem solving skills within all levels of the health care team, as evidenced by interviews, documentation, writing skills, and references.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere utilizing effective delegation skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates accountability/dependability as evidenced by completion of mandatories and unit based competencies within an established time frame.
- Willingness to float to multiple units if needed
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospital Certified Surgical Technologist policies and practice.
- Demonstrates participation in continuous quality improvement process with documented results.
- Experience with family centered care philosophy
- Takes initiative in seeking professional growth.
*Minimum commitment is 24 hours per 4 week scheduling block*
Evening and Night shifts are available, 4, 8 & 12 hour blocks are available
Location: Central Staffing Resource (Home base)
Expected to float to like units where competent and qualified in times of decreased cases
Inability to work for (3) months consecutively leads to automatic termination from employment
No guarantee of work at any time. Shifts can and sometimes will be cancelled.
TEMPORARY FLOAT CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST GUIDELINES
1). All CSR employees are required to attend an annual education to complete required
UM mandatories and competencies (BCLS every 2 yrs., Cardiac Arrest and maintain all
other applicable certifications).
2). Temporary Float Certified Surgical Technologists are expected to work all shifts requested unless no work is
3). A Temporary Certified Surgical Technologist should work 24 hours per 4-week schedule block.
4.) Temporary Certified Surgical Technologists in the CSR Clusters are NOT required to work weekends or holidays, unless otherwise agreed upon with unit management at time of hire and designated on Addendum A.
5). Temporary Certified Surgical Technologists will participate in a newly designed, streamlined, onboarding/orientation
program. However, the progression of orientation will be dependent upon clinical
competency, staffing needs of the individual units, and the number of hours worked by the
Temporary CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST.
This temporary position may meet eligibility requirements for health care benefits.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.